Document 3853-9
rating: +38+x

This document contains correspondence between SCP-3853A-1 (Dr. Aleksandr Filipov), MTF Psi-18, and the O5 Council leading up to Incident 3853-AUGUSTUS.

Proposal for Restructuring of Foundation Paramilitary Assets
Submitted to the O5 Council on 2 November 2016.

The beneficial effects of SCP-3853A on the combat effectiveness of Mobile Task Forces has been determined via experimental study (Osman et al, "Imperial Command: SCP-3853A on the Battlefield", Proceedings of the IIS 37 (2009), 63-90); as it stands, the Mobile Task Forces assigned to the Institute of Imperial Studies are objectively more useful in combat situations than those under the control of the main branch of the Foundation. I propose that all Mobile Task Forces be assigned under the command of the IIS; this will increase the Foundation's effectiveness in paramilitary operations significantly.

Under my proposed restructuring, the Mobile Task Forces currently assigned to the Institute of Imperial Studies would be redesignated as Legionary Task Forces I-XII, as they would be reserved for IIS operations; the remainder of the Mobile Task Forces would keep their prior designations, but would be placed under direct command of the IIS, with their commanders reporting to the Director. The operational directives of the Mobile Task Forces would not need to change, but simply by being placed in the command structure of the IIS—and therefore affected by SCP-3853A—their combat effectiveness would be increased by approximately 30%.

Dr. Aleksandr Filipov, Director of the Institute for Imperial Studies

Response to Proposal for Restructuring of Foundation Paramilitary Assets
Presented to the Director of the IIS on 6 December 2016.

Director Filipov,

The Overseer Council has discussed and voted on your proposal. The official tally was 8 against, 2 for, 3 abstaining. No further response will be given.

O5-2

Proposal for Reassignment of Foundation Facilities in Former Imperial Territory
Submitted to the O5 Council on 6 May 2017.

A large number of Foundation facilities are in territory that falls, de jure, under the jurisdiction of the Roman Empire and therefore the Institute of Imperial Studies. Until now these sites have remained under the control of the main branch of the Foundation, as the IIS was still in its infancy and did not have the resources to maintain a large number of facilities; however, now that the IIS has become a fairly large organization in its own right with the addition of the new facilities in Hispania, Brittania and Gaul, I propose that all Foundation sites within former Imperial lands be transferred in full to IIS control. This would allow the headquarters of the IIS to move from their current location near Carthage to Site-77, much closer to the ancient heartland of the Empire.

As with my previous proposal, the advantages to the Foundation are numerous. The benefit of SCP-3853A's effects on teamwork and individual effectiveness in both high- and low-stress situations cannot be overstated; we would have fewer containment breaches, fewer casualties during the breaches that happen, and hardly any of the clerical errors and mistakes that cost the Foundation millions of dollars each year (M. Aurelio & L. Verro, "Roman Ideas: Administrative Efficiency and Discipline in the IIS", Proceedings of the IIS 40 (2012), 135-167). In addition, we would be able to form new contracts and ritual bindings with the entities currently contained in these facilities; the ease with which SCP-████1 was contained demonstrates how the ancient containment specialists set the standard for thaumaturgical binding practices, which we could gain great insight from today (M. C. Ater, "Theurgy and Thaumaturgy in Special Containment Procedures", Proceedings of the IIS 43 (2015), 97-135).

Dr. Alexander Philipov, Emperor of the Institute for Imperial Studies

Response to Proposal for Reassignment of Foundation Facilities in Former Imperial Territory
Presented to the Director of the IIS on 11 June 2017.

Director Filipov,

The Overseer Council has discussed and voted on your proposal. The official tally was 10 against, 1 for, 2 abstaining. No further response will be given.

O5-2

Proposal for Unification of SCP-3853A and SCP-3853B
Submitted to the O5 Council on 23 September 2017.

Since the separation of the powers of Pontifex Maximus from the office of Imperator, the ancient titles of Augustus Caesar have not been united under a single man. I propose that, in order to streamline containment of SCP-3853 and restore the ancient status quo of Rome, we ensure that the next Pontifex Maximus is the director of the IIS. The advantages of this course of action are threefold.

First, it would remove any Foundation-external parties from the containment of SCP-3853B and related anomalies. While the Pontifical Commission for the Suppression of the Supernatural has been useful to our cause, it represent an unacceptable risk to future containment initiatives.

Second, it would enable some anomalies to be contained under the authority of both SCP-3853 titles. It is highly probable that, given the cooperation between the Papacy and a number of previous Emperors (such as the Carolingian dynasty), some of the entities currently contained by the Vatican are also bound to the Emperor; these objects could be contained more easily if the same individual held both titles (Pappapetrou et al, "Underutilized Theurgic Bindings on Entities under IIS Containment: Three Case Studies", Proceedings of the IIS 29 (2001) 47-80).

And third, it could reveal as-yet unknown properties of SCP-3853 that were lost when the titles were split up as Rome was Christianized. The currently-known properties of the titles, especially the benefits given to subordinates of those holding the titles, might be significantly enhanced, and other unknown benefits could be gained from this rejoining of Imperial honors (Julian A. Postata, "Not Just the Lion: Anomalous Properties of Pre-Christian Emperors", Proceedings of the IIS 35 (2007), 12-34).

Electing the Director of the Institute as Roman Catholic Pope is impractical; I therefore propose that, upon the death of the current Pope, the ancient Roman polytheist religion and Imperial cult be refounded, and that the Director be named Pontifex Maximus of that faith. The title could easily be willed by Pope Francis to the Director, and separated from the Papacy without any risk of an Avignon Event.

Imperator Alexander Philippus of the Institute of Imperial Studies

Response to Proposal for Unification of SCP-3853A and SCP-3853B
Presented to the Director of the IIS on 20 October 2017.

Director Filipov,

The Overseer Council has discussed and voted on your proposal. The official tally was 12 against, 1 abstaining. No further response will be given.

O5-2

Proposal for the Restoration of Imperial Power
Submitted to the O5 Council on 30 April 2018. Originally written in Latin.

With the Institute for Imperial Studies now being recognized as the true successor to the Empire of Rome, it is time for the Overseer Council to relinquish control of the Foundation to the Emperor. The entirety of the Foundation could benefit greatly from Imperial rule; no longer would we have to hide in the shadows of the world, emerging into the light as the new empire, to rule a world that we once fled. The fractured nations of Europe could be united once more under the rule of Rome; the people are ready for a strong hand to guide them (M. Antonius, "Political Suggestibility and Monarchist Sentiments in Modern Europe", Scholia Procedendaque Romana 1 (2018), 56-89), and I am ready to be that hand.

I propose to restructure the Foundation along the lines of the Roman government. I, as Emperor, will be at its head; my loyal task forces will form the core of my Praetorian Guard, and the remainder will become my Legions. The Site Directors' Executive Committee of the Whole will become the Senate, with 300 members chosen from among the longest-serving and wisest members of Foundation staff. The Overseer Council shall become the new Tribunate, exercising veto power over the Senate but still answering to the Emperor. And all the remaining staff, the researchers and custodians and even the D-Class, shall be the citizens and subjects of a new Empire, which will stretch its reach across the globe.

With these changes to the structure will come changes in policy. No longer will we simply contain and study the miracles we have gathered; instead we shall use them, to subdue our enemies and to aid our allies. The objects under the control of the Foundation have the potential to usher in an age of wonders (M. C. Ater, "Possibilities for Global Societal Change using Anomalous Means", Scholia Procedendaque Romana 1 (2018), 15-55); it is our duty to see that age come to pass. I urge you to heed my words, lest drastic action need to be taken.

Imperator Alexandrus Phillipus Caesar Augustus of Rome

Response to Proposal for Restructuring of Foundation Paramilitary Assets
Presented to the Director of the IIS on 7 March 2018.

Director Filipov,

The Overseer Council has discussed and voted on your proposal. The official tally was 13 against. No further response will be given.

O5-2

Order for Initiation of Succession Protocol Ψ-18-CALIGULA
Transmitted to MTF Psi-18 Commander Cassius Edwards on 14 March 2018.

Commander Edwards,

Initiate protocol Ψ-18-CALIGULA. Confirmation code ET TU BRUTE.

O5-2

Response to Order for Initiation of Succession Protocol Ψ-18-CALIGULA
Submitted to the O5 Council by MTF Psi-18 Commander Cassius Edwards on 14 March 2018.

I refuse to lift my hand against my Emperor. He has been informed of this treachery.

Cassius Eduardus, Praetorian Prefect to the Emperor

Declaration of Imperial Independence
Submitted to the O5 Council and the SDECotW on 15 March 2018. Originally written in Latin.

With the Foundation having repeatedly disrespected the sovereignty of Rome, and with the Overseer Council having attempted to forcibly depose the rightful emperor, the Roman Empire, no longer to be called the Institute of Imperial Studies, has declared its independence from the Foundation. My subjects and servants have sworn their allegiance to me, rejecting the false authority of the Overseer Council; my legions, trained and equipped by the Foundation, now are loyal only to their Emperor; the artifacts and servants bound by emperors past will no longer languish in prisons and vaults but will be put to use under the guidance of my Superintendent of Secrets, Lucius Caecilius Ater2, to expand the empire and grow the glory of the Emperor.

Emperor Alexandrus Phillipus Caesar Augustus, Father of his Country, Greatest Ruler3


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License