Department of Miscommunications Hub

rating: +152+x


What is the Department of Miscommunications?

Founded by Dr. Eli Forkley, the Department of Miscommunications (DoMC) is a specialist division within the SCP Foundation, dealing with the following:

  • Anomalies that manipulate language and communication in such a way as to be difficult to accurately describe.
  • Anomalies that do the above in a way that makes them difficult to accurately contain.
  • Anomalies that don't do those things, but appear to do so to the uninformed observer.
  • The creation and maintenance of technologies, both linguistic and physical, which aid in the above.
  • Exploring and regulating the nebulous cross-disciplinary space between the fields of memetics, linguistics, antimemetics, counterconceptuals, metaphysics, analytics, para- and exo-linguistics, and database management.

It is small by the standards of most departments, but extremely up-and-coming. They're ostensibly the folks who deal with anomalies like SCP-426 (I Am A Toaster); if it's tricky to talk about and document, they figure out ways to subvert it and pin it to paper.

What isn't the Department of Miscommunications?

The DoMC is not a division dealing with antimemetics. I cannot stress this strongly enough. SCP-4773-2 should be proof enough for anyone; when they do get their hands on them, they're grossly underqualified and horrendously out of their depth. As a general rule, they don't handle well things that hurt your brain on the inside. Words are one thing, thoughts are another. SCP-4288 is a good example of the outlier case, where the two are combined — look to it for a sense of what exactly 'fits'. Generally speaking, unless a clerical error or some other departmental mixup happens, non-communicatory perception-altering and memory-erasing anomalies should be kept as far off the table as possible.



Ánmes änmes vëlents relless rell. The standard DoMC heading was designed by DarkStuff, and the logo was made initially by hawkguyy and reworked by JackalRelated. Both are entirely free to use under the site's CC-By-SA license. Relless haā ueɒly lI toï and sao not śfurre plotąte.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License