I was hoping people could take a look at my idea and tell me if it's worth me spending any more time on it.
The two sentence version I wrote for myself at the start is "It's a malevolent entity which causes accidents, and feeds off the psychic pain it causes. It's playing a very long game, and it's moving"
What I was aiming for was a spot on a road through the countryside which displays a slightly higher than average rate of accidents, and with those showing a slightly higher than average fatality rate. The entity is somehow causing accidents or contributing to their being more frequent and more destructive than might be expected, and the emotional or physical pain felt by the people affected are what it feeds on. When it's eventually identified and categorised, the Foundation will realise that it's actually expanding gradually, and will eventually reach the town at one end of the road, where it will have a lot more people to prey on.
Some of the problems I came across, in no particular order:
- It's very similar to SCP-2281's evil twin. I read a lot of the location tagged scips and this one really stood out as similar in concept to my idea
- I know it's actually a malevolent entity, the police and the Foundation might see it as just an accident blackspot and not worry too much about it
- It's hard to get the numbers of casualties right. I checked figures for the real-life area the scip was inspired by, and it turns out that if this thing caused a couple of extra deaths a year, it would make a huge difference to the overall picture of road safety and prompt a police response
- I'm not sure how it actually works! Does it use the tired old cliché of causing a driver to hallucinate a figure in the road? Does it manipulate the environment to cause accidents, or exacerbate the damage caused by them? Does it wait for people to have an accident on their own, and just capitalise on that?
- My containment measures need work. At the moment, the Foundation has basically dumped a large, more or less permanent set of roadworks on top of it, to mitigate the effects! That could still be effective, depending on the actual mechanism for the entity. Part of the problem I have is that I got the inspiration for a containment procedure (roadworks in places where they spoil the driving fun), and worked backwards to create a scip that would need them
If you're wondering about my inspiration, the area which inspired me has a long tradition of weird folk tales with malevolent spirits, so I wondered whether their behaviour might evolve over time.