This is an announcement of changes to some long-established rules about tagging and tag creation.
From now and until further notice, authors are allowed and encouraged to create character tags1 at will without prior permission from wiki staff, provided that all of the following applies:
- The character appears in at least 5 articles by 3 different authors.
- The article you're tagging belongs to you.
The same rules apply to canon and goi tags as well.
In cases where new tags would be created incorrectly or excessively, staff will fix them afterwards as we become aware of the issue. Mistaken tagging without malicious intent is not and will not be considered a violation of site rules. Just use your best judgment people.
The following are some guidelines for creating character tags:
- Where applicable, use the title of the character as part of the tag (e.g. agent-smith, doctor-moreau), without contractions.
- Make sure that the character appearing in multiple articles is actually the same character, and not different characters with the same name.
- If you can apply 20 different character tags to the same article, it may be best to use just 3-4 most important ones instead.
- Tales need character tags more than SCP articles; however, the tags are allowed for both.
This change is made in a move to encourage the cross-linking of articles and improve wikiwalk. You can read more in the grand crosslinking forum thread.
That is all for now.