I was spitballing ideas, and I came upon the idea of a phone that calls down to hell. Either Satan or some demon or something answers and curses the caller, who subsequently dies from spontaneous combustion. Is this a viable idea or should I scrap it?
So, sounds a little similar to SCP-145, which drags out the killing a little bit. Even if that one didn't exist, it's still a thing that kills you - by itself, not very interesting.
That being said, a telephone that summons otherwordly entities for other purposes could work. Why not demonic plumbers? Or pizza delivery? Singing telegrams?
Hiya! I actually really enjoy this kind of idea, but if you write it straight-forward for face value as 'A phone that can call hell', I'm not quite sure how well it'll be received.
On that note, I feel like a good number of twists could be utilized to add some flavor to it! Here are a few of my conceptual ideas for this kind'a thing, feel free to use one or all of them as you please:
- Perhaps Satan isn't expecting phone calls, and is genuinely confused on how people got his number
- You've accidentally dialed the wrong number and contacted Heaven
- Again, wrong number, but it's still Hell, but not quite the Demon you were looking for
- You dial the number and someone you know but haven't seen picks up on the other end, with the sound of a party in the background telling you how dying was the best thing they'd ever done
- Satan runs a suicide prevention hotline and turns out to be a genuinely cool dude(You'd need to make sure it's written tactfully though, it's a touchy subject.)
- You call the number, turns out Hell is an eternal aerobics club and you've just called the signup number
- You call Hell, and Satan decides he doesn't want to deal with you and redirects your call to Cthulhu
- You call the line only to interrupt a conference call between Satan and God discussing thanksgiving plans
These aren't really specific plans to use, but more like queue cards to get you thinking. But the point is, perhaps you call Hell and get something you very much don't expect.
Just one little Spooky Bee
I decided to take your advice, and I've changed my Scip into a device that can call deities and other metaphysical beings. If you want to re-review it, I'd appreciate any other critiques you have to offer.