I think a lot of people don't take AWCY? seriously, both IRL and in-universe. And if you read the GOI guide (as the Foundation's consensus view of them) it's easy to understand the attitude.
A cell of "art terrorists", the members of Are We Cool Yet? are capable of either obtaining or producing anomalous objects and entities, and using them to create art installations. These installations are placed for maximum public exposure, and are often — but not always — fatal to bystanders; the phrase "are we cool yet?" is always present in some way.
I mean, even "terrorists" is in scare quotes. And the "are we cool yet?" tagline is just annoying.
But consider a few things:
- The Foundation list of GOIs come in two basic flavors, a point source for new SCPs (Doctor Wondertainment, Alexylva University) or rival organizations competing for access to SCPs (GOC, The Chaos Insurgency). AWCY? is the one GOI that has a foot in both camps.
- AWCY? may actually be better described as a "movement," an underground network of people sharing a similar philosophy, rather than a hierarchy with a defined command structure and goals. That is a lot harder to fight, investigate or infiltrate.
- AWCY?'s aesthetics are a perfect match for the Foundation universe. (I mean, how many SCPs are based on a picture of some creepy art installation?)
- AWCY? is a descendant of Dadaism, and if you look at the philosophy of Dada, it boiled down to a bunch of artists, across all media, seeing the horror of WWI and deciding that western civilization was too horrible to deserve "art" and actively set out with the intent to create anti-art to destroy art in the culture. Take that a step further, for a bunch of artists who've seen behind the curtain the Foundation holds up, and who've seen what the universe is really like. Instead of the Dadaists' war against culture, or the Surrealists' against reason, you have AWCY?'s war against reality itself.
- Just because some AWCY? stunt or other seems like a juvenile college prank cranked up to 11 doesn't mean AWCY? isn't dangerous. In fact, it means the opposite. Consider, AWCY? is a movement broad enough to attract hangers-on and wannabes who are desperate enough to be part of the in-crowd by pulling some lame stunt with an SCP— and there's some group of people that they're looking up to, the people who created AWCY?'s philosophy, the people who probably created SCP-804