A Fun Idea I had on the bus. I'm having trouble identifying what a "hook" is, though I expect the concept itself could be entertaining enough to draw the reader in, if that's the gist of it. Let me know if I'm wrong about that, or if something like this is already on the site.
SCP-XXXX is a horn whose form constantly warps and shears, shifting between different shapes and compositions. It is believed to represent the horn which heralds the mythological end of creation in at least 617 parallel universes, all at once.
The shifting generates a great deal of heat so it is impossible for a living being to grip and blow into the horn; it is supposed that its shifting nature was not intended, and represents a defect in the design of the instrument. Also suggesting defective construction is the fact that the calamity issued by the horn tends to be highly localized and containable. The Foundation has created a large room to house the item, sporting massive passive heat exchangers, impenetrable soundproofing, protective runes from a number of religious and magical traditions, and good drains.
A computer can anticipate the pattern of shifts and schedule experiments on particular incarnations. The horn can be briefly gripped by a robot arm, then "blown" into by a mechanized pneumatic action. When so gripped, it stops shifting, but cannot be held for long as it exerts a progressively powerful counter-force when restrained.
Ends of all creation, so far:
- Fills the room with fire. Both cages of experimental rats and rabbits are immolated, but otherwise all surfaces present are fireproof and do not burn. The flame quickly extinguishes itself.
- Vomits forth a plague of locusts. They fill the room, mill about and are eventually destroyed by heat and the evacuation of air from the chamber. Twelve were saved and remain under observation as SCP-XXXX-1.
- Vomits forth a flood of vomit. It contains an enzyme that breaks down organic material within several minutes. Drained and mopped thoroughly.
- Summons the shadowy spirits of dead ancestors who howl in apocalyptic rage. They massacre all experimental animals present, inflict minor damage on the interior of the chamber, kick around for awhile and eventually turn on one another. The remaining spirits fade in three days. Theories for communicating or containing the spirits are being developed in anticipation of a repeat experiment.
- Creates storm clouds that rain blood for two days and one night before dispersing. Apart from the experimental animals drowned in the deluge, its apocalyptic capacity is not apparent.
- Experimental animals are stricken with malaria. They are moved to biological containment and successfully treated.
- Produces a flood of water which falls just short of filling the room. After a quantity of it is examined and found to be ordinary seawater similar to that found in the Gulf of Redacted, redacted miles from the site, the room is drained.
- Experimental animals are compelled to engage in homosexual activity. The experiment is maintained for another four days until personnel wearily conclude that yes, that was the horn's entire point.
- Produces an ebon-eyed newborn infant who pops out of the horn and begins to cry after landing on the floor. Continues crying for twenty minutes. Agent Stilton is chosen to investigate. The infant quietens when picked up and held. Agent Stilton reports that it is a nice baby. Cataloged as SCP-XXXX-2 and held at Site 33 for further examination.
In several cases, the horn caused no apparent effect. It is surmised that in those cases, it failed to call to an entity or force which was not present or possible within containment.