SCP Foundation Heritage List
The SCP Foundation Heritage List is an official "Hall of Fame" of articles that are considered both culturally significant and easily identifiable. Addition to the Heritage List recognizes the following:
- That the article has a significant presence both on the SCP Foundation main list and on the SCP Foundation fandom.
- That the article has existed on the SCP Foundation wiki for a long enough period of time, and has been popular and highly regarded enough during that period of time, that it can be considered an iconic article.
- That due to the first and second factors, the article in its current state is now solidly identified with that particular SCP number enough that the loss of that article and the slot's replacement with a different one would be confusing enough to the fanbase to be detrimental to their enjoyment.
For these reasons, SCP articles added to the Heritage List enjoy the following official protections.
- Any attempts to make significant changes or rewrites to the article must go through an admin (not just a moderator). Small changes like grammatical or structure errors may be fixed by moderator or author decision as is normal.
- Should the article fall below the deletion threshold, the article must go through at least one round of rewrites (overseen by an administrator as per protection 1) before the deletion is carried out.
- Should the article remain under the deletion threshold after appropriate rewrites are made, the article will be archived, and the slot will be removed from the main list. No new articles will be allowed to take that slot: even if the article doesn't fit the current tone and standards of the Foundation, it is significant enough culturally that its article number will not be re-used. Think of this in the same light as a team retiring the jersey number of a famous player: the number is now forever identified with a particular identity, and should not be compromised.
Finally, articles added to the Heritage List are identified in the following manner:
- A "heritage" tag will be added to the article's tags.
- A small and unobtrusive "Heritage List" icon will be placed next to the article's voting module.
- The article will be added to a "Heritage List" page. Unlike the normal SCP Foundation main list, each article will be introduced with a short blurb explaining its cultural significance and giving any caveats to new writers if the article does not fit the current tone or should not be emulated.
The inaugural 2013 class of the SCP Foundation Heritage List will consist of 14 articles to be determined as follows:
- In order to fulfill the longevity requirement, only articles originally written in the years 2008 and 2009 will be eligible for addition to the list.
- There are two articles that fulfill the longevity requirement that are significantly more highly rated than the others: SCP-173 and SCP-087. These two articles will automatically be included in the inaugural Heritage List.
- Site Administration will get to choose 3 articles, as "Heritage List Admin's Choice." Administration will meet and determine how they will make their selection.
- Site Moderation will get to choose 6 articles. Again, Site Moderators will be given free reign on how they will make their selection. An Administrator will help oversee the process in order to make sure that the selection is done fairly, but will not otherwise interfere.
- Senior Staff will get to choose 9 articles. Again, it is up to the Senior Staff as a whole how they will make their selections. Again, Administration and Moderation will be on hand to oversee the process and make sure the selection is done fairly, but will not otherwise interfere with the process.
- Finally, all SCP Foundation articles from the eligible years that are rated +100 or better will be placed on an outside polling site for general vote. The vote will be open for a two-week period of time, and announcements will be made on the main wiki as well as popular fan-sites.
After all votes are completed, the final Inaugural Heritage List will be chosen in the following manner:
- All three Administration choices will be added to the Heritage List.
- Out of the six candidates, the top three Moderator choices that are not repeated in the Administration choices will also be added to the Heritage List.
- Out of the nine candidates, the top three Senior Staff choices that are not repeated in the Moderator or Administration choices will also be added to the Heritage List.
- Finally, out of all 95 candidates, the top three Popular Vote choices that are not repeated in the Administration, Moderator, or Senior Staff choices will also be added to the Heritage List.
- SCP-173 and SCP-087 will automatically be included in the list.
This will leave us with an inaugural Heritage List of 14 articles.
You can find the poll here, at:
The polls will close on 8-31-2013.