The 2000 contest is now closed to new entries.
We are adding a bonus "editing week" to the contest. The contest is still closed to new entries, but until the end of Friday, December 13, you will be allowed to make major edits to a piece that has already been submitted.
Voting will still end Friday, December 20th, 11:59 PM EST as established at the beginning of the contest.
This period is for editing [and voting] only. Do not simply erase a draft and post up a completely different concept in its place. Entries which do so will be disqualified.
So long as your piece is recognizable as the same piece (even if you've made some alterations to the concept or rewritten most of it), you should be okay. This will be judged at staff discretion, so if you are unsure whether your rewrite qualifies, ask a member of staff.
Once this editing period ends, you may still make minor edits to your piece, to correct small errors.
- We discussed extending the voting further, but ultimately we decided not to. This will put writers who do last-minute overhauls at a disadvantage, but those writers would already have been at a severe disadvantage if we hadn't extended the editing period anyway. And honestly, one week of pure voting on finished articles is likely enough.
- I decided to extend the editing period days ago, but I didn't announce it til now. This was deliberate: we didn't want to flatly extend the contest, so this works better as a surprise bonus for those of you who put it at least enough time and effort to get a draft in place.
- My main motivation for extending the editing period was the difficulty some last-minute entrants had getting feedback on drafts, but who legitimately put hours and hours of work into their piece.
- Just to be clear, after your contest entry becomes an SCP, you can change anything you damn well please, as per usual.
- Finally, an apology for the last minute change; it's no secret that this contest didn't have much of a planning cycle beyond brainstorming the concept. This change is hopefully either positive for you, or simply won't affect you. If you have any feedback about this or the contest in general, please feel free to leave it in this thread.