Inside-Out
rating: +61+x

on her forehead                                                                                                                            

Report on "SCP-17591"
Published by J.S. Moulton Research Center, Bloomington, MN


Section 1
Pertinent information regarding SCP-17591

I
SCP-17591 appears to be a clear rectangular block 2.5m x 1.5m x 1m in size. It is incredibly heavy — so much so that it cannot be removed safely from its original location. It is made of a material whose impenetrability and toughness has rendered it impossible to further scrutinize.

The item has been named SCP-17591 for an engraving on one of its sides containing the phrase, as well as a symbol associated with the defunct occultist group "SCP Foundation", of which little information is available. The group associated this symbol with phenomena that were exceptionally dangerous and posed exceptional difficulties in the completion of their "containment" rituals.

II
SCP-17591 distorts local near-Euclidean space such that its six surfaces correspond with the walls, ceiling, and floor of the room where it resides — each point on the surface of the item is coterminous with a point on the walls of the room. SCP-17591 is effectively contained within its own inverted exterior.

For the sake of clarity, this text ignores the spacial warping aspect of SCP-17591 when referring to its location or containment, treating it as a discrete object. You may consult the Clarendon Report, Appendix C, for a full explanation of and technical details regarding Section 2-II.

III
SCP-17591's top surface (a 2.5m x 1.5m side), while fully translucent to cameras and other instruments, shows an image of some nonexistent place to those who observe it directly. The details of this place may vary in any aspect between viewers, including those who observe at the same time. Those cases most closely resembling reality usually show a region analogous to SCP-17591's location.

A recurring theme among the hallucinations induced by SCP-17591 is the sense that, from our point of view, the "other side" perceives our reality as though we existed within a box similar to SCP-17591. Attempts to communicate with the inhabitants of the hallucinatory places have resulted only in admonishments to "exit" or "escape".

A sense of wanderlust, disdain for the present state of the world, and claustrophobic sentiments are inflicted upon those entering SCP-17591's room, and intensify during viewing of its top surface. All of those exposed have expressed the desire to escape the world as a whole, leaving by "opening" SCP-17591. It is unclear what this "opening" would entail, as the item has no observable seams or obvious means of opening it. Severity varies between those exposed, and dissipate with several hours away from SCP-17591.

These effects are produced and transmitted via telepathy emanating directly from SCP-17591, as confirmed by IAS psychic-sensitives T. McLean and E. Bell.


Section 2
Current status of SCP-17591

I
SCP-17591 remains at the location in which it first appeared — the Site-83 Ruins near St. Paul, MN. It is in a former boiler room on the basement level. As this building was already under the exclusive purview of the International Anomaly Society (under the guise of an archaeological excavation), nothing else needed to be done to prevent access to the public.

II
SCP-17591 has not changed at all since its appearance.

III
Research on SCP-17591 has been discontinued. Contact S. Sanmugasunderam and M. O'Cruadhlaoich at the J.S. Moulton Research Center with any questions regarding SCP-17591. See IAS Statement on the Suspected Nature of SCP-17591 and Related Protocols [attached].


Section 3
Further reading

  • The Clarendon Report, which details the present understanding of spacial distortions such as those exhibited by SCP-17591, with SCP-17591 appearing as a case study in Appendix C.
  • Compulsion — The Art of Identifying and Resisting Telepathic Influence, a report by Jacob Epps that has proven useful for those dealing with SCP-17591 in person.
  • A History of the SCP Foundation, a compilation of materials related to the group likely involved in the creation of SCP-17591, published by the Historical Center.
  • The Erikesh Files, a collection of poetry dated to 2010 that describe a phenomenon comparable, in some aspects, to SCP-17591.
  • History of the International Anomaly Society's Involvement with SCP-17591 [attached]
  • IAS Statement on the Suspected Nature of SCP-17591 [attached]

These readings are available on request at the Historical Center and the IAS Library Wisconsin branch.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License