SCP-1139
rating: +263+x

Item #: SCP-1139

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: By authorization of O5-█, object is housed at Research Area 39. Following Incident 1139-1, object moved to Research Area ██. When not being used for testing, object is to be enclosed in a seventy-five (75) by twenty (20) by twenty (20) centimeter block of rubber, molded into two pieces, with a Faraday cage surrounding the block, placed on a static-free workbench. The containment room for the object shall be made of unreinforced concrete (minimum thickness of three (3) meters) and shall be illuminated at all times by gas lamps. The humidity level shall remain between 70% and 80% at all times.

The door to SCP-1139's containment room shall be made of non-conductive, high impact ceramic materials. Following Incident 1139-1, access is via three (3) containment doors, the outermost door consisting of steel, with a metallic threshold grounded in case of electrical discharge. The two innermost doors are to be constructed of non-conductive, high impact ceramic materials.

No electrical devices, including pacemakers, watches, or recording devices are to be brought into the containment room except for testing purposes. In no event may an electrical device capable of creating an alternating current be introduced to the containment room without authorization of one (1) O5 personnel. In no event may an electrical device capable of producing more than one thousand watts (1000 W) be introduced to the containment room without written authorization of two (2) O5 personnel.

Research Area ██ shall remain equipped with two lightning rods at all times, neither of which shall be grounded within 200 meters of SCP-1139.

Following Test-1139l, and by order of O5-█, the staff of each Foundation Site must include one level 3 staff member previously affected by SCP-1206.

Description: SCP-1139 consists of a metallic grey rectangular block, roughly twenty (20) centimeters high and five (5) centimeters square at its base. The overall density of the object is roughly double that of iron, and the object is denser near the top. The object has thus far proved impervious to both deterioration and damage, making a determination of the object's age impossible. The sides are patterned with square protrusions in an unrecognized pattern, which can be confirmed by touch. Viewers of the pattern or of photos of the pattern observe the protrusions as block letters in a language they are familiar with, but this is merely a visual illusion. No subject has reported any subsequent change in the appearance of the letters. On the bottom of the object, there are four (4) 1 mm x 5 mm crevices, each coated in a copper-colored substance. No new effect has been observed through the manipulation of or application of electricity directly to the crevices.

Upon application of electricity a direct current, the object affects all individuals within a given radius through unknown means. Any person within the radius of effect begins speaking and writing a new language, though they apparently believe they are speaking their native tongue. Subjects lose the ability to speak or comprehend any prior known language(s). Linguistic analysis indicates that the new languages are fully formed languages, but all attempts at translation have been met with complete failure. Attempts at translation continue. Subjects have proven incapable of learning or re-learning any real world language after exposure to SCP-1139. Class AA amnestics successfully counteract the effect, though subjects are thereafter of little use to the Foundation, and Class AA amnestics are not advised in future testing. See Experiment Log 1139-1.

The radius of the effect is exponentially proportional to the wattage applied to it, with a "static shock" creating a radius of eight-tenths (0.8) meters and a direct lightning strike estimated to create a radius reaching beyond [DATA EXPUNGED], potentially resulting in a [REDACTED] scenario. Developing practical methods of containing, controlling, or reversing the effect is ongoing and should be considered a Level Chi priority. Possible use as a "worst case scenario" planetary defense is under consideration.

SCP-1139 was recovered during Incident 98564/k. Mobile Task Force Delta-5 ("Front Runners") raided a Church of the Broken God outpost in Normal, IL. A basement contained an apparently demented and violent elderly man holding SCP-1139, who was quickly terminated. In this room were over ███████ handmade documents, including stone tablets over ████ years old and modern paper showing minimal wear. Note that the earliest documents predate the Church of the Broken God by over ████ years. The documents do not appear to be written in any known languages, and ███ different languages have been identified.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License