SCP-1548-EX
rating: +225+x

> WELCOME, O5-6.

access file: scp-1548

> ACCESSING FILE: SCP-1548…
> FILE NOT FOUND.
> NO DOCUMENT PRESENT IN THE SCP-1548 SLOT.
> QUERY DID FIND SIMILAR RESULTS: SCP-4548, SCP-1548-EX.

access file: scp-1548-ex

> ACCESSING FILE: SCP-1548-EX…
> FILE FOUND
> DISPLAYING FILE…


hateful_star
Image of SCP-1548 mid burst

Item #: SCP-1548

Object Class: Euclid Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Space observatories capable of observing SCP-1548 are to be restricted from doing so. Images and readings taken of SCP-1548 are to be kept private and under the sole control of the Foundation.

Should usage of existing observatories be necessary, they will be temporarily put under the control of the Foundation.

Research into methods of neutralizing SCP-1548 are currently on going. Upon the completion of Lunar Area-32 (Projected date: 1959), primary research into how SCP-1548 operates and possible methods of termination are to be relocated there.

Description: SCP-1548 is an unidentified object, approximately 24 light years away from Earth. The object, originally thought to be a star, is significantly brighter than any recorded so far and periodically emits bursts of ionizing radiation.

Initially discovered in 1949 at the Yerkes' Observatory in Chicago, Illinois, Agent M███████ noticed that many of the pulses recorded formed a morse code. The first transcribed read "Death for the undsrving[sic]." All messages received so far have all been aggressive, involving the death, destruction, and humiliation of the human race.

Readings and measurements of the object has shown it to be incredibly unstable. SCP-1548 possess a highly erratic axis, with its orientation changing at any given moment with little perceived order. This has lead researchers to believe that it is rotating very quickly and randomly. From this axis, two twin jets of ionized radiation are emitted in seemingly random pulses. The radiation from these streams are much more concentrated than the radiation emitted throughout the rest of SCP-1548.

SCP-1548 communicates through morse code using these radiation pulses. The messages SCP-1548 sends out are incredibly random. While multiple distinct messages have been recorded, these pulses account for <1% of the total pulses emitted by SCP-1548. No distinct pattern has been discovered for when SCP-1548 is simply pulsing at random and when it is attempting to communicate.

Addendum.1 — Observations by Head Researcher Natalie:

Upon the completion and population of Foundation Lunar Area-32, my team has performed more detailed measurements of SCP-1548.

These measurements indicate that SCP-1548 poses a large and immediate threat to the planet. Due to the proximity and intensity of the bursts, should either of the streams happen to be pointed directly at us during a burst, the radiation would retain enough energy to make it past the heliosphere and subsequently devastate components of our planet's atmosphere, namely the ozone layer and magnetosphere.

All life on earth (which includes us) would be completely at the mercy of any and all ionization radiation from both space and the sun.

Current estimates indicate that such an event would result in a total collapse of most of Earth's ecosystems. I doubt we would fare much better.

As such, I am submitting a request for more funding to better understand, and hopefully, eventually terminate SCP-1548.


> ALERT: THERE IS A TEXT FILE LEFT BY O5-3. WOULD YOU LIKE TO ACCESS THE FILE?

yes

> ACCESSING MATERIALS…

> DISPLAYING FILE 1/1

> ATTENTION: THE TERMINAL HAS BEEN IDLE FOR FOUR MINUTES. THE TERMINAL WILL EXIT IN ONE MORE MINUTE.

logout

> GOODBYE O5-6.
> LOGGING OFF…

shutdown

> SHUTTING DOWN…

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License