SCP-1575
rating: +226+x

Item #: SCP-1575

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1575 is to be held in a 6m x 6m x 4m containment chamber at Bio-Site 23, with direct access to Research Laboratory 3 at same. Except when in use for testing, no water is to be allowed into SCP-1575's containment, and after testing all water used is to be held in quarantine for use in further tests.

Description: SCP-1575 is a marble statue, standing approx. 2.75m high with an additional base of 0.5m. The statue is a depiction of Venus (Roman goddess of love, beauty, fertility and seduction) clad only in wrappings from the waist downwards. The statue acts as a fountainhead; damage to the base shows that it was likely intended as a permanent installation, with a single channel running from underneath the base up through a hole in the mouth. SCP-1575 shows no anomalous properties on its own, nor do samples removed from the whole. An inscription on the base, partially obscured by the above-mentioned damage, indicates it to have been sculpted in the early 16th century for a private collection in ██████████, Italy.

Any otherwise fresh water which is allowed to pour through SCP-1575 in its nature as a fountain (henceforth referred to as SCP-1575-1) is shown to have mutagenic properties when consumed or otherwise introduced into a body; external application (including long-term submergence) does not trigger a mutation. Non-human mammalian creatures who consume at least 0.5 liters of SCP-1575-1 daily will begin mutating into a human being over the course of roughly one month, with ethnicity roughly in accordance with humans native to the species' natural habitats. For example, a European deer will have primarily Caucasian features post-mutation, while a North American deer will have features like those of Native Americans. Curiously, most modern breeds of dogs and cats will have indistinct or mixed racial features.

Survivors of this process describe it as extremely painful, and it has an approximate 25% fatality rate for females. Males experience a 95% fatality rate, with most survivors having an androgynous appearance with non-functional or completely missing genitalia. Additionally, there is a 40% chance that the animal will retain one or more pre-mutation features, such as fur, paws instead of hands and/or feet, a tail, non-human ears, etc. The final apparent age of the subject is normally in accordance to the stage of life of the creature involved (prepubescent, adolescent, adult, elderly).

It should be noticed that cases where the subject is gaining or losing a significant amount of mass, appetites and bodily functions will shift to match. Please see the attached testing logs for specific information.

After a successful mutation is completed, subjects normally display an intelligence level typical for what is considered average for their species. Several subjects have shown a somewhat increased capacity for problem solving than is considered normal for their species; whether this is due to neural restructuring or a byproduct of Foundation testing is currently unknown. Many subjects which develop proper vocal cords are able to learn to speak, but typically only with rudimentary phrases of basic needs (such as food, sleep, play, etc.) Similarly, most subjects are able to achieve full mobility within two-to-four weeks of stabilization, though manual dexterity takes far longer to perfect if the original species had simple paws or hooves.

SCP-1575-1 does not have any notable effect on a creature's personality, memories or instincts; all carry over from the individual animal's existing self despite drastic restructuring of the brain. Domesticated animals typically retain previous levels of affection for humans, though the physical and mental trauma of the mutation process often leads to cases of depression and other psychological issues.

Humans have not been observed to experience any notable effects when ingesting SCP-1575-1. Non-mammalian creatures will mutate, but due to significant physiological differences they will have a 99.9% fatality rate due to drastic and incongruous physiological differences. Only 2 non-mammalian mutations were known to have stabilized; neither had completely changed to a human form, and both were euthanized after brief study.


Addendum 1575-1: SCP-1575 was recovered from a facility named "The Miracle Farm", previously owned and operated by Marshall, Carter & Dark Ltd. The stated goal of the facility was to "present our clients with the finest in custom-ordered pets, prey and companions." Mobile Task Force Theta-2 ("Moreau's Morgue") was able to secure the facility, ██ on-hand personnel, █ attending clients, and ███ living specimens in various stages of mutation; only █ specimens were deemed fit for transportation and study, all others euthanized on-site. Farm personnel and clients were detained for questioning, then given class A amnestics and released. A cover story of a runaway fire was implanted in their memories before release to explain the destruction of their facility.

According to obtained records, at least ██ specimens were known to be in possession of clients of MC&D. MTF Theta-2's current mission is to track down and recover or destroy said specimens; thus far, █ have been accounted for.


Addendum 1575-2: Select testing logs


Addendum 1575-3: Notice from Dr. ████ regarding a minor containment breach involving SCP-1575:

Following the incident on the twelfth of this month, during test 1575-9, any animal to be used in testing with SCP-1575 is to be thoroughly examined for both external and internal parasites. Our initial beliefs that SCP-1575-1 only affected the primary host has proven wrong; it apparently retains its mutagenic properties, even when ingested secondarily through the host's lower GI tract or blood stream. We absolutely do not need another instance of half-mutated flea-creatures, and the psychologist is having a hard time helping Janet with her nightmares of a seven foot long tapeworm with a screaming face tearing out of the belly of a dog.

- Dr. ████

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License