SCP-2186
rating: +154+x
Laika_ac_Namaqua_Chameleon_(8446604360).jpg

SCP-2186 during testing. Note the testing area, beginning to adopt a similar pattern and texture to SCP-2186's scales.

Item #: SCP-2186

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2186 is to be kept in a 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.3 m screened enclosure suitable for non-anomalous specimens of Chamaeleo namaquensis. Specific procedures for habitat care and maintenance are detailed in Document 2186-A.

Interaction with SCP-2186 is to be kept at a minimum, in order to prevent unnecessary stress that might trigger SCP-2186's anomalous properties. Feeding, habitat maintenance, and medical examinations are the only times at which interaction is permissible. SCP-2186 is not to be removed from containment except in cases of medical emergency.

Description: SCP-2186 is an adult female Namaqua chameleon (Chamaeleo namaquensis). Physically, it differs from non-anomalous representatives of its species only by its lack of chromatophores, rendering it unable to change its color in response to external stimuli.

SCP-2186's anomalous properties become apparent when SCP-2186 is threatened, provoked, or otherwise made uncomfortable. All surfaces and objects within a 50-meter radius of SCP-2186 begin to gradually take on the color and texture of SCP-2186's skin. After approximately 2 minutes of exposure, the exterior surfaces of affected objects become identical to SCP-2186's skin (a state henceforth referred to as "stage 1 transformation"). If SCP-2186's agitation is maintained, the interiors of affected objects begin to gradually transform into biological matter identical to that of SCP-2186. Full transformation (a state henceforth referred to as "stage 2 transformation") occurs after approximately 5 minutes. Stage 1 transformation gradually reverses if SCP-2186 returns to a calm state or is removed from the vicinity of affected objects, but stage 2 transformation is seemingly permanent. See Test Log for further details.

Discovery: SCP-2186 was recovered from the home of a Mr. E███ S████. The SCP Foundation was notified to SCP-2186's presence by Mr. S████ himself, who had made several panicked calls to local and national law enforcement agencies detailing SCP-2186's anomalous behavior. Foundation field agents who entered Mr. S████'s property observed that a large area of the house had undergone stage 2 transformation. SCP-2186 itself was located in its vivarium, exhibiting clear signs of vitamin deficiency, malnutrition, and stress. SCP-2186 was seized by the Foundation, and all affected objects were removed from the site and cataloged.

Based on observation of SCP-2186's living area at its discovery site, as well as testimony given by Mr. S████ during questioning, SCP-2186 had been allowed to develop a state of extreme agitation due to its inadequately maintained environment, poor diet, and general state of neglect. However, Mr. S████ claimed to have followed an online guide to Chamaeleo namaquensis care to the best of his ability, and denied that SCP-2186 was in ill health upon its containment by the Foundation. He also claimed to have ordered SCP-2186 from a well-known and respectable online pet retailer specializing in exotic reptiles.

Mr. S████ was retained for observation and study. SCP-2186 underwent medical examination upon containment, and is currently in good health. Investigation into the online pet retailer used by Mr. S████ have thus far unearthed nothing of note, and the guide the subject claims to have used has not yet been found.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License