SCP-2190
⚠️ content warning
  • rating: +427+x

Item #: SCP-2190

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Foundation agents embedded in regional cell phone manufacturers and distributors are to ensure that all phones sold within SCP-2190’s active area included modified SIM cards designed to automatically filter calls from SCP-2190.

Undercover field agents living near POI-2190-2’s place of residence are trusted to monitor and ensure the wellbeing of POI-2190-2 and her family, as well as dissuade members of the community from believing that POI-2190-3 is anything other than a loving husband.

Description: SCP-2190 is a telephonic entity that manifests in communication systems within the country of the Philippines. Records of previous manifestations have shown that SCP-2190 possesses the personality, vocal quality, and financial resources of ████ █████████, a deceased Filipino woman designated POI-2190-1. SCP-2190 is capable of calling any mobile phone within a 100km radius of the home in which POI-2190-2 currently resides. The first SCP-2190 phone call took place on 02/05/2007, three days after POI-2190-1 passed away at the age of 78 due to heart failure.

SCP-2190 has complete, irrevocable control over POI-2190-1's savings and liquid assets. This encompasses the full breadth of resources possessed by POI-2190-1 prior to her death, as POI-2190-1 retained complete ownership of these resources even after being declared legally deceased. Suspected anomalous bureaucratic influence is being investigated.

All attempts to prevent or limit SCP-2190's access to its financial resources have consistently met with failure. Any attempt to close, transfer ownership, or edit the balance of POI-2190-1's bank account via computerized systems will result in a system error, and any alterations to physical documents pertaining to SCP-2190's wealth will anomalously revert the following day. Additionally, individuals employed at financial institutions will immediately forget any instructions to alter or deny transactions from POI-2190-1's bank account.

Every two to three weeks, SCP-2190 places a phone call to an individual of its choosing. Records indicate that SCP-2190 makes its selections based on the following criteria:

  • The recipient must reside in close proximity to POI-2190-2's place of living.
  • The recipient must possess a reasonable level of physical fitness and intelligence.
  • The recipient must have an urgent need to acquire a large sum of money.

SCP-2190 introduces itself during these calls as the mother of ██████ █████ (designated POI-2190-2), daughter of POI-2190-1. SCP-2190 will go on to claim that POI-2190-2 is trapped in an abusive relationship with her husband, Albert █████ (POI-2190-3), and will beg for the recipient of the call to help in ending the relationship between the two. A $5,000 (₱224,850) reward is offered for successful termination of the marriage, with 10% delivered upfront. If the recipient agrees, SCP-2190 will provide them with POI-2190-2’s present location, as well as the locations of POI-2190-3 and their son, Philip █████ (POI-2190-4). If the individual receiving the call agrees to these terms, they will receive $500 (₱22,485) via wire transfer two to three days later.

SCP-2190 was discovered in 2008 during a police investigation into the kidnapping of POI-2190-4. The abductors had sent POI-2190-2 a ransom note demanding that she immediately annul her marriage, change her name, and return home to her mother. POI-2190-2 chose to ignore the demands and enlisted the help of local law enforcement, who successfully located the boy and apprehended his captors. Field agents embedded in the Philippine judiciary brought SCP-2190 to the Foundation’s attention when POI-2190-2’s mother, whom the kidnappers named as an accomplice and whom POI-2190-2 testified to be frequently communicating with, was found to have been deceased for several years.

After SCP-2190 was confirmed to be anomalous in nature, POI-2190-2’s family was placed in Foundation custody. They had originally been planned to remain as permanent on-site residents; however, their presence in Site-92 caused SCP-2190 to begin placing calls on confidential Foundation communication networks. As this constituted an unacceptable security breach, the family was administered amnestics and allowed to reintegrate into society. Extensive observation of POI-2190-2’s family life over the subsequent years has shown no evidence of abusive tendencies on the part of POI-2190-3.

Document Log: The following is an excerpt from an interview with POI-2190-2 conducted during her brief time at Site-92.

Addendum: The following is a statement from SCP-2190's supervising researcher, Dr. Jethro Bostenero, regarding SCP-2190’s containment procedures:

Over the past few years, a number of colleagues have approached me with concerns about SCP-2190’s containment. Essentially, the question people seem to have is, “Why are we spending so much money and manpower on the current containment procedures when the anomaly could potentially be rendered inert by separating POI-2190-2 and POI-2190-3?”

Rest assured that alternate containment procedures were proposed and considered. The containment procedures that are currently in place were specifically selected and approved by the O5 council for the following reasons:

Firstly, intentionally separating POI-2190-2 and POI-2190-3 would constitute the attempted neutralization of an anomalous phenomenon. Neutralization attempts are only to be carried out if the anomaly in question poses a significant risk to normalcy and humanity at large. SCP-2190 does not meet this requirement. “We are not the Coalition, we contain, not destroy” is an age-old mantra that I’m sure you’re tired of hearing, but it’s still very applicable to this situation.

Secondly, the present set of containment procedures aren’t nearly as extravagant as detractors have suggested. It’s standard practice to have undercover field agents in large population centers, and Baguio is no exception, so we’re not losing any extra manpower. The modified SIM cards are paid for by the sales of the phones themselves, and therefore cost us nothing.

There is also a third reason, which is, quite simply, sentiment. It’s no secret that suicide rates are high among Foundation personnel, a fact that is generally attributed to the difficult decisions we have to make and the actions we have to perform for the greater good. SCP-2190 is something of a victory, a rare case in which containing an SCP means allowing a family who has endured a living hell to finally live happily ever after. The value of the morale boosts provided by these feel-good stories cannot be overstated.

If you have any other questions or concerns regarding SCP-2190, feel free to call me any time during regular business hours.

– Dr. Jethro Bostenero

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License