SCP-2494
rating: +273+x

Item #: SCP-2494

Object Class: Euclid (Keter classification pending)

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2494 is currently uncontained. MTF Rho-14 ("Handschuhe") is tasked with tracking the origin of the phenomenon and suppressing public knowledge of outbreaks. All instances of SCP-2494-1 should be captured, euthanized, and cataloged. One instance of SCP-2494-1 per major species is to be kept in Site-73 specimen storage.

Description: SCP-2494 is a phenomenon whereby animals (SCP-2494-1) manifest human hands, integrated into their anatomy. To date, all instances of SCP-2494-1 have been vertebrates. The source and mechanisms of SCP-2494 are currently unknown, but the phenomenon has so far been centralized to the vicinity of the River Tweed along the Scottish/English border.

Hands related to SCP-2494 vary in size, but in SCP-2494-1 averaging more than 0.4m in length or 9 kg in weight are comparable to standard human hands. Hands typically occur (>90%) at the ends of forelimbs, less frequently (>60%) also on the hindlimbs. In rare instances, hands have been seen emerging from the cranium, along the spine, in place of the tail, or at the end of the nose. Hands are merged seamlessly with SCP-2494-1's physiology, and color varies according to the animal's own skin. DNA tests invariably return as that of the instance's species.

SCP-2494-1 are generally not impeded by these hands, except in cases where placement overbalances the instance. Fine manipulation is possible, though instances will only use their hands in this manner if such behavior is typical for their species. However, SCP-2494-1 have been discovered clutching letters and flyers; the origin of these is currently under investigation. (See Addenda 2494-02 and -05.)

Addendum 2494-01: Partial List of SCP-2494-1 Instances in Specimen Storage

Instance Description Notes
SCP-2494-1-03-A Male Eurasian harvest mouse (Micromys minutus). Hands emerging from ends of forelimbs, 7mm long at the middle finger. Instance was able to hold seeds for eating.
SCP-2494-1-07-C Male European hare (Lepus europaeus). Hands connected to all four limbs. Placement of hands on rear limbs impedes locomotion.
SCP-2494-1-10-F Female European hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus). Hand located at end of snout. Instance dead when brought to Foundation custody.
SCP-2494-1-12-B Male Old English Sheepdog (Canis lupus familiaris). Hand emerges from top of cranium. Behavior consistent with breed. Currently kept alive in custody of MTF Rho-14 as morale booster.
SCP-2494-1-14-C Male cattle (Bos primigenius taurus). Hands at ends of forelimbs and in place of horns. Testing shows no appreciable difference between flavor of meat from body of SCP-2494-1-14 instances and meat from hands. Test subjects unanimously complain the latter is stringy or tough.
SCP-2494-1-18-A Female little ringed plover (Charadrius dubius). Hands emerge from carpal bones, replacing wings. Instance unable to fly. Hand bones pneumatized, consistent with other avian SCP-2494-1.
SCP-2494-1-42-A Female Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Hand in place of dorsal fin. See Addendum 2494-05

For full list of SCP-2494-1 specimens, contact Dr. ███████.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License