SCP-2533
rating: +81+x

Item #: SCP-2533

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2533 is inactive unless read by a human. When not in use for an authorized viewing event, it is to remain in a sealed manila envelope which is placed in a locked filing cabinet drawer in Secure File Storage room 2 at Site 19. Access must be authorized by Level 3 Supervisors or higher.

SCP-2533 may not be read by any person alone under any authority. To minimize the risk of violent outbursts, exactly three people per viewing event are allowed in the test chamber. Two group members shall read the document and compare its subject matter; the third group member takes the role of mediator and facilitator.1 Before reading, members of a designated viewing group must disclose recent personal disagreements with other members of the group. Any member holding a significantly negative opinion about another member is disqualified from the viewing event and must be replaced.2

No action is to be taken on the subject matter of the document, except to investigate the accuracy of events described. Each member of the viewing group shall be debriefed individually and, if possible, given accurate information to counteract the disinformation received in the viewing event. If exposure to SCP-2533 causes severe mental distress in the reader, a class C amnestic may be administered at the reader's request.

Description: SCP-2533 is a 9 page document printed on standard A4 paper stapled at the top left corner. This document appears to be a surveillance report performed by Site 19 security staff of the recent activities of a person known to the reader. The report contents and surveillance subject are different for each reader. When multiple readers view the document together, each perceives it to be about a different subject. The contents and date of the report change when more than one day has elapsed since the previous viewing event but the subject usually is the same for a given reader.

The report is meticulous in detailing the purported activities of the subject for the previous three days. Without fail, the reader of the report finds the details given to be highly persuasive and hugely damaging to the professional and personal reputation of the subject. After reading the report, readers state that their opinion of the subject is markedly worse. In most cases the reader is angered by the alleged activities, frequently to the point of aggressive behavior. Upon investigation, it is found that the events and actions described by the report did not actually occur. Knowing that the report is false does not relieve the reader's state of anger.

The document may be photocopied, in which case the copy contains the information which was read by the person making the copy. The photocopy text is static and therefore can be used to track the disinformation provided by the document. Considering that no negative information from the report has yet been confirmed by later investigation, making a record of libelous disinformation is not considered useful. Video footage of the document produces a blur where the text should be.

Provenance: Further analysis shows that SCP-2533 is printed on SCP Foundation letterhead by a laserjet printer consistent with the printers in Site 19 offices. The weight and color of the paper are identical to that in use at Site 19. No file with keywords matching those in the document has been found on any of the office computers or local network. At this time it is undetermined whether the document was printed at Site 19 or elsewhere.

Security footage of Dr. Ayers' office shows a person of indeterminate gender, medium height with short dark hair approaching the secretary's desk and placing the report at 12:53 pm on 03/18/20██. No one else is within this camera's field of view. Attempts to find the delivery person on other security camera recordings within the building failed. A set of fingerprints retrieved from the document, presumed those of the delivery person, does not match any site personnel. One partial print match was found through Interpol records for a suspect in the arson of a suspected [REDACTED] safehouse in Barcelona, Spain. Tracking efforts are ongoing.

Given the seemingly intentional manner in which SCP-2533 was placed, we should assume that this object was created and introduced in an effort to sow discord among Foundation staff. All senior personnel should be made aware of the existence of SCP-2533 and instructed to be alert for new instances.

— Dr Morgan Ayers.


Addendum 2533-01: Interview with Dr. Morgan Ayers. Dr. Ayers discovered SCP-2533 in his office on 03/18/20██. After reading the document and discussing its contents with his secretary, he began to understand its memetic behavior.

Addendum 2533-02: Condensed Viewing Event Log. Testing conducted at Site 19 during March and April of 20██ under the direction of Dr. Phillip Sampson.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License