SCP-2828
rating: +368+x
Item#: 2828
Level2
Containment Class:
esoteric
Secondary Class:
ticonderoga
Disruption Class:
keneq
Risk Class:
critical

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2828 is currently uncontainable and is ubiquitous in global populations. However, risk of breach of security or public discovery is deemed low, as it is undetectable without the use of strong mnestics.

Undercover Foundation operatives, primarily members of MTF ε-7 ("Forget Me Nots"), posing as high-ranking employees in pharmaceutical and chemical manufacturing companies and as research oversight officials in relevant universities are to monitor any projects aimed at production of chemicals with known or suspected mnestic capabilities, procure prototype batches to test for effectiveness at facilitating perception of SCP-2828, and either halt the research or allow it to continue based on the results. Foundation webcrawler algorithms are to routinely search through the Internet, university intranets, and scientific journals for any potential references to SCP-2828 and operatives are to investigate accordingly.

With MTF η-10 ("See No Evil") and MTF η-11 ("Savage Beasts") on standby, descriptions of SCP-2828's visual appearance, texture, sound, odor, or taste are to be tested for safety with D-class personnel by RAISA and Antimemetics Division personnel and redacted or expunged accordingly.

The personnel files of all Foundation personnel who have never observed SCP-2828 under the effects of mnestics are to be appended under Level 3 Clearance with a list of the senses associated with any descriptions of SCP-2828 to which the respective personnel have been exposed. The personnel files of all Antimemetics Division personnel and any other personnel who work with mnestics or SCP-2828 documentation are to be checked before each administration of mnestics and before each approval of access to SCP-2828 documentation and are to be updated within one workday of any new exposure.

Description: SCP-2828 is an antimemetic and nearly undetectable part of the human body located behind the ear. The role of SCP-2828 in bodily systems is virtually nonexistent and is hypothesized to be fully vestigial.

SCP-2828 can only be perceived through the use of Class-W or stronger mnestics, but only to a limited degree if at all. When it is perceived, it can only be perceived with one sense1. Whichever sense is used to perceive SCP-2828 first by a given subject is the only sense that subject will ever be able to perceive it with. For example, if a subject saw SCP-2828 before he or she felt, heard, smelled, or tasted it, then that subject would not be able to ever feel, hear, smell, or taste it.

This effect extends to all forms of communication; a subject who has seen SCP-2828 is unable to understand a written or verbal description of its smell, descriptions of the sound it makes, et cetera. Amnestics are capable of erasing memories of SCP-2828, but the subject will still be unable to use any sense other than the one that subject first used to perceive it again. This is thought to be because SCP-2828 permanently alters the brain chemistries of those who perceive it.

A subject who has never observed SCP-2828 under the influence of mnestics can be told and fully comprehend information regarding SCP-2828 that uses more than one sense to describe it. However, if said subject uses mnestics afterwards and attempts to observe SCP-2828 using any sense, [REDACTED]. It is therefore imperative that no Foundation personnel be exposed to any remotely detailed description of SCP-2828's appearance, texture, sound, odor, or taste.2

Other than this, SCP-2828 poses no immediate danger and possesses no further anomalous properties.

Addendum 2828-01: SCP-2828 was discovered after Dr. A██████, a Foundation researcher and one of Site-██'s clinicians, was transferred to the Antimemetics Division in 19██. As with all Antimemetics Division staff, she began a Class-W mnestic regimen. She continued to act as a Site-██ clinician. Two days later, on ██/██, Dr. A██████ performed a semiannual checkup on Agent F███ and noticed a peculiarity behind his ear. When she touched the area, she was unable to receive any tactile stimulation whatsoever. She touched the same area on herself with the same result. Recognizing the apparent anomalous influence, she contacted Site Director S███████ immediately.

Addendum 2828-02: Following the events of 06/17/19██, all tests regarding SCP-2828 have been suspended by order of Site Director S███████.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License