SCP-2837
rating: +55+x

Item #: SCP-2837

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: All instances of SCP-2837 are to be kept at separate Sites. No instances are allowed to be at the same Site for any period of time without the consensus of both the lead researchers on SCP-2837 and the Site Director.

SCP-2837-1 is kept at Site 17, suspended in the center of a cell measuring 4 m x 4 m x 4m. SCP-2837-2 is kept at Site 24, suspended in the center of a cell measuring 60 m x 60 m x 60 m. SCP-2837-3 is kept at Site 37, suspended in the center of a cell measuring 15 m x 15 m x 15 m. SCP-2837-4 is kept at Site 50, suspended in the center of a cell measuring 35 m x 35 m x 35 m. All containment cells are to have access doors located only in one of the upper corners of the chamber, with a walkway extending to the center of the room, allowing access to the SCP-2837 instance.

By preference, only telepresence robots are allowed to enter the range of effect of an SCP-2837 instance. In the rare event that direct human exposure is required, only D-class personnel are to be used.

SCP-2837 instances present a null probability of active containment breach. If accessed or moved by an outside force or individual, follow standard protocols for neutralizing the outside agent.

Description: SCP-2837 consists of a set of 4 perfect Platonic solids composed of different unidentified indestructible substances. The edges of each instance are 17.37 cm in length. Each instance is surrounded by an anomalous region of space centered on it, within which the laws of physics are altered such that all matter consists of mixtures of 4 indivisible particles, described below, and the laws of thermodynamics and motion are greatly simplified. Normal molecular structures are replaced by simple structures composed of these particles, which interact in a manner sufficient to mimic those of standard molecules. The action by which this mimicry works is poorly understood.

SCP-2837-1 is a tetrahedron composed of a uniform red (wavelength 700 nm) substance. Its range of effect is a sphere with a radius of 1.74 m. All exothermic reactions occurring within this volume produce approximately 50% more thermal energy than they do outside the affected region. Inside the affected region, all thermal and electrodynamic energetic processes are facilitated by the transfer of nanoscopic tetrahedral particles. Purely thermal or electric discharges are composed exclusively of these particles, in varying concentrations and luminosities.

SCP-2837-2 is a cube composed of a uniform green (wavelength 549 nm) substance. Its range of effect is a sphere with a radius of 27.8 m. Within the affected region, the force of gravity is normalized such that all objects within it experience 9.8 m/s2 of acceleration towards the center of the Earth, regardless of the distance from the Earth. A continuous bidirectional flow of nanoscopic cubical particles extends from all solid objects towards the center of the Earth. Additionally, any magnetized objects form similar, less intense flows with ferromagnetic objects within the affected region. All solid matter contains high concentrations of these particles, with elemental iron being formed exclusively of them.

SCP-2837-3 is an octahedron composed of a uniform yellow (wavelength 570 nm) substance. Its range of effect is a sphere with a radius of 6.95 m. Sapient creatures report a greater clarity of thought and ease of thinking within the affected region and perform, on average, 15% higher on standardized measures of intelligence and achievement than they do outside the region. Dense clouds of nanoscopic octahedral particles surround all living brain tissue within the affected region, with density operating according to the inverse-square law. Additionally, all objects that contain or transmit coherent information1 are accompanied by similar, but less dense, clouds of these particles. All gases within the effective range are rendered uniform and breathable and are composed exclusively of these particles.

SCP-2837-4 is an icosahedron composed of a uniform blue (wavelength 446 nm) substance. Its range of effect is a sphere with a radius of 15.6 m. All coefficients of friction are reduced by approximately half within the affected region. Additionally, all mechanical or kinetic processes are facilitated by the transfer or action of nanoscopic icosahedral particles. All liquids are composed primarily of these particles, with purified water being composed exclusively of them.

When two or more instances are within 50.3 cm of each other, the affected region becomes a perfect sphere with center at the centroid of the placement of the instances. The radius of the sphere is equal to the sum of the radii of the spheres surrounding each included instance. The effects of each instance are active throughout the entirety of the new volume. Experimentation has determined that biological processes that occur within this collective region operate at approximately 30-50% efficiency, depending on the complexity of the organism. Notably, microscopic organisms die immediately upon entering this region. All biological matter that expires within the region rapidly decays into disorganized admixtures of the four particle types, which gradually stratify over time.

SCP-2837 was discovered in 1847 within a sealed, underground Roman tomb located in present-day Turkey by The Royal Society for the Study of Curiosities and Peculiarities, a Foundation precursor. The tomb has since been destroyed by regional conflicts, but etchings and drawings made at the time of discovery indicate that the entry door and interior of the tomb were covered in bas-relief carvings and frescos depicting a previously unknown mystery cult devoted to the Roman god Orcus. Several of the drawings indicate that the cultists considered SCP-2837 to be a gift from Orcus, intended to purify the world in preparation for his return to the surface world. Notes from the archaeologists responsible for the finding indicate the tomb was sealed by order of an official entitled the "Curator Arcanorum", or Superintendent of Secrets.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License