SCP-2999

rating: +539+x
Item#: SCP-2999
Level3
Containment Class:
euclid
Secondary Class:
{$secondary-class}
Disruption Class:
ekhi
Risk Class:
caution

Assigned Site Site Director Research Head Assigned Task Force
Site-45 REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED

Sarah.jpg

Screenshot of SCP-2999-A's current desktop. Anomalous/classified data has been redacted. Click to enlarge.

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2999 instances are to be stored in separate secure holding cells on Site-45-C. Requests for personal items by SCP-2999-B may be approved by personnel with Level 3/2999 clearance or higher, provided they remain within reason. Requests made by SCP-2999-A require Level 4/2999 clearance to be carried out.

SCP-2999-A is to be placed on a desk in Secure Holding Cell 312 (SHC 312). Requests for a new laptop computer may be approved once every five years. This computer must have speakers, and must have its wireless LAN removed. SCP-2999-A should be granted permission to edit any files of this computer when it is introduced. SCP-2999-A is not permitted to connect to Foundation servers. Unauthorized devices containing SCP-2999-A are to be destroyed, and must not connect to the internet.

SCP-2999-B is to be contained in Secure Holding Cell 369 (SHC 369), and must be fed 225 grams of yarrow (Achillea millefolium) per day. Personnel are to ensure that all yarrow is consumed by SCP-2999-B before leaving SHC 369. Video surveillance of SCP-2999-B must be reviewed while interviewing SCP-2999-B to establish dialog. Further interaction between SCP-2999-A and SCP-2999-B should be prevented.

Description: SCP-2999 is the collective designation given to two separate entities originating from the first underground floor of the main base of Prometheus Labs, specifically designated SCP-2999-A and SCP-2999-B.

SCP-2999-A is a sapient 5.17 KB text file titled 'Sarah_Crowely.txt' (For a non-anomalous copy, see Addendum-2999-1). ASCII characters have been arranged in the form of a Celtic knot, which features a leporine-like face with two 'V's to represent fangs on its upper portion, and twelve characters common in [DATApossession anomalies most commonly found post-Salem Witch trials, EXPUNGED] on its lower portion, which are not typically found in ASCII code, and appear to be critical components to the object's anomalous properties. When stored on a computer or electronic device, SCP-2999-A can change its file location, create and name folders and files, deny its deletion, open, close, or duplicate itself, and can speak through the computer's speakers.

SCP-2999-A can function as or replace a device's original operating system (OS) if it is either given administrative permission, or stored on a device without an OS. SCP-2999-A will fully replicate the hardware's previous operating system within 24 hours, but will alter it in order to prevent personnel from accessing it. Personnel will be unable to use the computer's keyboard and mouse, utilize any drives, or otherwise access the device without SCP-2999-A's compliance.

SCP-2999-A reports that staying in a device for prolonged periods of time gets progressively more painful the longer SCP-2999-A operates the device, and could result in SCP-2999-A losing its anomalous properties. This is expected to be related to the computer's overall age and condition, since being stored on newer models can ease its discomfort entirely, while older models only partially relieve it.

After SCP-2999-A has finished replicating a computer's OS, it will begin to personalize its desktop by organizing personal documents, images, applications, and other projects, and by altering its background image. It is unknown where SCP-2999-A has stored these files, but a large majority of them have been authored by Prometheus Labs, and are typically on the subject of restoring life through anomalous means. SCP-2999-A keeps its same background image, which appears to be a young female humanoid with features similar to a white rabbit.

Will.jpg

SCP-2999-B

SCP-2999-B is the taxidermied, sapient skeleton of a black adolescent house cat. SCP-2999-B is held together through various methods, including leather straps, black tape, string, and super-glue, partially composed of common yarrow (Achillea millefolium). SCP-2999-B refers to itself as Dr. Stuart Hayward, and was created by SCP-2999-A.

SCP-2999-B causes alterations in video equipment when in view, including the addition of subtitles. In addition, the appearance of any person who is shown in the video alongside SCP-2999-B will be significantly altered. The subtitles added to the feed are an intentional alteration by SCP-2999-B, which is typically used for communication purposes. All other alterations appear to be involuntary.

When a subject is filmed and shown in the same frame as SCP-2999-B, the subject's appearance will be altered so that they appear heavily disfigured. Alterations to the subject will typically include a combination of the following:

  • a large wound where the heart is located
  • a missing left eye
  • removal of the subject's facial epidermis
  • the mouth cut to resemble a wide grin, which has been stitched closed
  • minor burn marks on the arms and torso
  • addition of animal-like features, such as a snout, claws, or a tail
  • large portions of flesh removed from the subject's right calf
  • the subject's current attire replaced with an evening gown or tuxedo, depending on gender

Visuals created by SCP-2999-B are only visible through video surveillance, and do not appear to subjects viewing SCP-2999-B directly, or in still photography. SCP-2999-B has reported that it experienced frequent hallucinations prior to its current properties, and that they were of similar content to its video alterations. SCP-2999-B has not experienced any hallucinations while under containment.

Despite SCP-2999-B's fragile appearance, SCP-2999-B is very durable, and is capable of rapid self-repair if any part of SCP-2999-B is damaged or removed. SCP-2999-B requires a diet of yarrow, which prevents SCP-2999-B from falling apart and ceasing anomalous properties. It is currently unknown what happens to substances that pass through SCP-2999-B's jawline, but it has been proven that feeding it yarrow has increased the duration of its properties.

Both SCP-2999-A and SCP-2999-B have displayed an advanced knowledge of anomalous practices, interrogation techniques, and Foundation staff and procedures, and have claimed to have been employed by the Foundation before anomalous properties manifested. SCP-2999-B has matched the on-site psychological profile of Dr. Hayward.

Prior to containment, SCP-2999-A downloaded itself onto twelve Prometheus drones, which were capable of receiving verbal commands and detecting heat signatures, and a security system, which prevented access to the first underground floor of Prometheus Labs in order for SCP-2999-A to create SCP-2999-B.

Based on the recovered floor plans, video surveillance, and accounts from surviving Prometheus personnel, this floor housed a large kennel, a large electronics sector, and a small green house. It has been noted that the animals held in the kennel were cared for, but occasionally, a drone controlled by SCP-2999-A would carry one feline to the electronics sector, kill it, and remove the majority of its skin and organs. SCP-2999-A repeated this process several times before it successfully produced SCP-2999-B. Following creation, SCP-2999-B panicked, and escaped from SCP-2999-A by retreating to the floor's security station. All drones previously controlled by SCP-2999-A have been rendered inoperative since containment, and are currently designated under SCP-████.



Foreword-2999

SCP-2999 Documents

scp2999.png

The following is a redacted copy of SCP-2999-A's text file, and a partial log of surveillance footage that was found and recorded from within the monitoring station accessible through the floor's security booth after SCP-2999-B sealed itself inside the station.

These Documents are provided under jurisdiction of Hayward Protocol, and may only be viewed by Site-45 psychiatric staff, staff with specialized 2999 clearance, the current Site-45 Administrator, and those with O5 designations.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License