SCP-3372
rating: +36+x

Item #: SCP-3372

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-3372-A and B are to be stored in separate Safe-class containment lockers in Site-22. Testing with SCP-3372-A requires level 3 clearance. Testing with SCP-3372-B requires level 4 clearance. Tests on SCP-3372-A and SCP-3372-B may not be performed simultaneously.

The Ethics Committee has approved surgical perforation of the tympanic membrane for SCP-3372-B test subjects requesting relief of associated symptoms upon conclusion of testing.

Description: SCP-3372 is the collective designation for two items.

SCP-3372-A refers to a handcrafted wooden case (SCP-3372-A-1) that can hold up to six bamboo mimikaki1, and the eight mimikaki currently affected by its anomaly (SCP-3372-A-2-a through h). When a mimikaki is left within SCP-3372-A-1 for at least fifteen minutes, it becomes an instance of SCP-3372-A-2.

When used to puncture a human eardrum, an instance of SCP-3372-A-2 will cause a swarm of insects animals native to Japan to be released from the subject's ear canal. Organisms thus produced are not anomalous, save for their ability to grow to normal size while exiting the ear canal. Organisms will flee the immediate scene before resuming behavior normal for their species. This activity continues until the SCP-3372-A-2 instance is removed from the ear canal entirely.

Subjects thus affected report no discomfort apart from the associated effects of rupturing the eardrum.

SCP-3372-B is a compound comprised of hydrogen peroxide and a number of other chemicals, not all of which have been fully identified.2

When applied to the ear canal of a living human, SCP-3372-B induces auditory hallucinations over the course of the next 10 minutes to 145 hours, superceding the subject's normal hearing in the affected ear. Hallucinations cataloged so far have demonstrated wildly differing content, though subjects almost always express dismay and fear at what they are able to hear, even when informed ahead of time of the effect SCP-3372-B may have.

While the amount applied has some correlation to the duration of the effect3, this correlation is non-linear and currently not fully understood. Subjects affected by SCP-3372-B for over an hour invariably will attempt to deafen themselves in the affected ear(s) with any suitable implement.

Application of SCP-3372-B to both ear canals will produce the effect in both ears, with duration related to the amount used per ear. Hallucinations experienced per ear are typically unrelated. Dual-ear testing is prohibited as of 28/02/1986.

Addendum 3372-03: Recovery and Combination of Item Numbers

SCP-3372-A and the original six instances of SCP-3372-A-1 were initially recovered from a store and massage parlor in Akihabara district of Tokyo by IJAMEA after reports of massive amounts of vermin emerging from the storefront. Two corpses were discovered at the store: a woman who had been stung to death by hornets and a man with SCP-3372-A-2-f embedded in his brain through his left ear. The man was later identified as having had an affair with the woman, who had been performing mimisouji4 on him. SCP-3372-A and its contents came into Foundation possession in 1945 with the dissolution of IJAMEA.

SCP-3372-B was obtained during a raid on a Prometheus Labs facility in 1985, along with a number of other items. A label indicated SCP-3372-B was intended as a powerful cerumen cleanser. SCP-3372-A and SCP-3372-B were initially contained as separate objects.

On 05/03/2005, D-Class testing of SCP-3372-B was interrupted by an unrelated containment breach. Due to improper handling of SCP-3372-A, D-8193 (the test subject) was able to gain access to SCP-3372-A-2-e and proceeded to insert it into her ear canal, puncturing the eardrum. Instead of the typical effect, D-8913 lapsed into a trance. Security Agent Patrick Toncar came upon D-8913 and conversed with her, which was captured on site-wide security feed.

Following this event, both items were reclassified as SCP-3372 and containment procedures were updated.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License