SCP-3960
rating: +209+x

Item #: SCP-3960

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Unassembled instances of SCP-3960 are to be stored in their original packaging within high-security electronics storage containers in the storage wing of Site-64. Assembly of a new instance of SCP-3960 requires the approval of both the site's Ethics Committee liaison and Site Command.

The four assembled instances of SCP-3960 currently within Foundation custody are to be kept within a single Type-S Humanoid Storage Cell at Site-64. The cell is to be inspected daily for signs of attempted containment breach. Psychological evaluations of each instance are to occur on a weekly basis. Each instance is to be inspected bimonthly for any damage that may have occurred during containment.

Description: SCP-3960 refers to a total of ten fully articulated humanoid toy robots manufactured by Anderson Robotics. The body of each instance is composed of molded polycarbonate casings over an aluminum frame. The exterior of these casings is covered in a black fabric of identical composition to SCP-1360-1, while the interior is covered in thaumaturgic symbols. When fully assembled, each instance stands at approximately 31 cm in height and weighs approximately 3 kg. Of the ten instances of SCP-3960 currently in Foundation custody, six instances of SCP-3960 remain unassembled within their original packaging, with three instances having already been assembled prior to Foundation acquisition and one instance being assembled as part of Foundation testing.

Assembly of an instance of SCP-3960 is relatively simple, with a total of 14 pieces snapping together to form the robot's body. The final step of assembly, according to the pictorial instructions that come with each instance, requires the builder to create a thaumaturgic circle out of table salt around the instance. At five roughly equidistant points along the circle, the builder is required to place a piece of paper with a personality trait written on it. Once this is done, the builder is instructed to chant "Vitam Amicus"1, at which point the thaumaturgic circle will immediately vanish, and the instance of SCP-3960 will animate.

Upon animation, instances of SCP-3960 will attempt to follow the individual responsible for their assembly and assist them in a variety of tasks, ranging from playing games to advanced mathematical calculations. The personality and skill set of animate instances of SCP-3960 are correlated with the traits written on the pieces of paper used during assembly. Animate instances of SCP-3960 are capable of speech in a monotone voice; each instance will refer to the individual who performed the assembly chant as its best friend or in similar terms of endearment. Currently, there appears to be no means of changing who an instance of SCP-3960 is bonded to after assembly. Animate instances of SCP-3960 do not appear to require a power source to operate and are hypothesized to have the capacity to run indefinitely.

Addendum 3960-A: Packaging Text
The following text is present on the back of the original packaging of each instance of SCP-3960:

BUILD YOUR PERFECT FRIEND

With the new Hobby Personal Android from Anderson Robotics, your best friend is always with you. Each HPA is fully customizable and fully assembled within as little as 15 minutes!

From games to jokes, to homework help, and more, the possibilities of your HPA are only as limited as your imagination.

Don't wait! Build the friend you deserve today!

Addendum 3960-B: Recovery
All instances of SCP-3960 were recovered on May 24th, 2024 during the joint Foundation/UIU raid on the offices of Anderson Robotics in Three Portlands. The following emails were recovered from the computer at the workstation near the containers in which the instances were found.

Addendum 3960-C: Assembled Instance Interviews

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License