SCP-4032
rating: +88+x
Sorbus_torminalis_Weinsberg.jpg

A photo of SCP-4032-1.

Item #: SCP-4032

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-4032 has been cordoned off in the research gardens of Site 67. All instances of SCP-4032-1 are to be gathered daily and incinerated on-site. Misuse of SCP-4032-1 will lead to suspension or termination of employment.

Any animal found to have consumed SCP-4032-1 is to be captured, euthanized, and incinerated.

Only one specimen of SCP-4032 has been found to date. Should additional specimens be found, MTF Alpha-67 "Weed Whackers" will be dispatched to uproot the specimen and transport it to Site 67.

All humans that have consumed SCP-4032-1 are to be contained in Holding Cells B1-B5 in the outer perimeter of Site 67. Each cell is to be outfitted with 3 redundant air filters containing Thiobacillus thioparus embedded in a peat and polyurethane mixture. Hydrogen sulfide and methane sensors are installed in each filter. Upon sounding of sensors, MTF Alpha-13 "Odor Eaters" are to escort the individual outside while repairs are completed.

Description: SCP-4032 is a wide, mounding deciduous shrub producing a small, round, brown fruit designated SCP-4032-1.

When an animal or human consumes SCP-4032-1, it produces extreme gastrointestinal distress. One hour following consumption, the affected individual will form an excess amount of flatulence containing elevated levels of hydrogen sulfide and a smaller, but noticeable, amount of methane gas.

Due to an anomalous effect, this flatulence will continuously be produced until the affected individual is deceased (see Research Logs below). Fasting and dehydration do not affect the flatulence, and endoscopy has discovered no identifiable source of the anomalous flatus.

An affected individual in an area with improper ventilation will, over time, experience severe symptoms caused by hydrogen sulfide poisoning, including conjunctivitis, respiratory irritation, loss of smell, pulmonary edema, and death.

Discovery: SCP-4032 was discovered on Apr 2, 2018. An individual known as Anthony Green (hereafter referred to as D-14478) came upon SCP-4032 in the foothills of Northern California. After consuming SCP-4032-1, he made a distress call to the local search and rescue team, which was intercepted by Foundation operatives.

Due to its relative isolation and access to natural resources, the area surrounding SCP-4032 has been purchased by the Foundation, and a research facility constructed under the guise of a personal estate. A 3m fence has been erected across the property, and SCP-4032 is currently contained with other biological specimens in the research garden area of the site, now designated Site 67.

Research Logs:

Researcher: Dr. Loghari.
Special Note: As Site 67 was not yet constructed, D-14478 was housed at Site 88.

Date: 4/2/2018
Time: 18:00
D-14478 brought in for observation, assigned to Cell 14-B on the exterior of the compound. Subject emitting copious quantities of flatulence showing high levels of hydrogen sulfide and methane.

Date: 4/2/2018
Time: 23:00
Subject complaining of rapid gas buildup in his cell. Interior venting hood activated.

Date: 4/3/2018
Time: 02:00
After receiving over 50 complaints, maintenance staff deactivate interior venting hood and open exterior windows. D-14478 placed on intravenous diet.

Date: 4/5/2018
Time: 10:00
Endoscopy conducted on D-14478 via remote equipment. Colon was found to be clear, with no visible source of rectal gas.

Date: 4/6/2018
Time: 11:00
Staff meeting held to discuss the effect of D-14478's condition on community quality of life. Residents of nearby cells and research rooms complain about inability to open windows or use nearby outdoor facilities. Options discussed include relocation, termination, and attempted treatment.

Resolution passed to house D-14478 in an outdoor facility while proper filtering equipment can be constructed.

Date: 4/13/2018
Time: 15:00
Foundation agents intercept reports from environmental watch groups regarding airborne pollution in central Alabama near Site 88. Due to the widespread effects of D-14478's condition, resolution is passed to transfer D-14478 into experimental filtering cell before conclusion of safety inspection. Disagreement by the minority noted and filed.

Date: 4/14/2018
Time: 01:00
D-14478 found dead. An investigation pointed to improper construction of the primary filter and malfunctioning of its associated sensor. All effects of SCP-4032-1 found to cease upon death. Postmortem report filed with Ethics Committee. Dr. Loghari placed on temporary administrative leave.

Researcher: Dr. Carlisle
Special Note: Animal testing approved by Ethics Committee.

Date: 5/1/2018
Species: Araucanian Herring (Clupea bentincki)
Procedure: SCP-4032-1 was crushed and added to a mixture of copepods and krill, then fed to a small school of herring.
Result: Fifteen minutes after consumption of SCP-4032-1, the herring's typical flatus production was greatly increased, disrupting their use of flatulence for communication and causing distress to the school.

Flatus was collected and analyzed. In contrast to standard herring flatus, the gasses collected contained both hydrogen sulfide and methane, although at levels lower than those produced by human subjects.

After three hours, the herring were euthanized and processed. Autopsy and chemical analysis discovered no postmortem evidence of SCP-4032-1's effects.

Date: 5/2/2018
Species: Chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)
Procedure: SCP-4032-1 was offered directly, which was rejected by the chickens. It was then crushed and added to commercial chicken feed and fed to a group of five chickens.
Result: Two hours after consumption of SCP-4032-1, all chickens began to emit a gas containing low levels of hydrogen sulfide and methane gas.

All animals were euthanized and dissected after five hours. Postmortem analysis determined that the chickens' short intestinal tracts were distended.

Date: 5/4/2018
Species: Brown-throated three-toed sloth (Bradypus variegatus)
Note: This species was chosen for its noticeable lack of flatulence, typically absorbing flatus and emitting it through the lungs.
Procedure: SCP-4032-1 was offered directly, which was rejected by the sloths. It was then crushed and ground with a mixture of tree leaves before being fed to a sloth.
Result: [REDACTED]

All testing with large mammals has been suspended. Ethics Committee approval is required for all future animal experiments.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License