SCP-4309
rating: +111+x

Item #: SCP-4309

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: All SCP-4309 instances are to be contained at their original location of discovery, which is to be restored so as to resemble a private residence with inconspicuous security measures. The basement entrance is to be secured by a standard steel door, with the basement's original windows being sealed by steel shutters.

All SCP-4309 instances are to be kept under video surveillance at all times, with any atypical behavior being reported to the current project head immediately.

Description: SCP-4309 is a collection of 42 identical human corpses, originally discovered at the bottom of a 4m by 4m by 4m cubic pit located in the basement of an abandoned cottage 6 kilometers northeast of █████████, New Hampshire. Each instance is hairless and emaciated, possessing tough, blackened skin similar to that of bodies that have undergone peat bog mummification. The bodies lack both primary and secondary sexual characteristics, and have each had their mouths and eyelids sewn shut.

When human observers are present, SCP-4309 will relocate and reposition themselves whenever line-of-sight is broken, typically into a dramatic tableau. SCP-4309 movement is visible on video recording and transmission devices, however, instances do not engage in this behavior when left unobserved, and will instead most frequently cluster together and remain motionless until an in-person observer appears. All instances of SCP-4309 appear docile, and have not initiated attacks on Foundation staff since their discovery. See SCP-4309 Test #5.

Notable positions taken by SCP-4309 include:

  • Sitting cross-legged in a semi-circle on the floor around an instance miming reading a book
  • A violent brawl
  • Standing around the perimeter of their pit whilst clawing at the walls
  • Standing in a queue in various states of boredom, frustration, and despondency
  • Pointing accusatory fingers at an instance huddled defensively in a corner
  • Attempting to dig through the floor of their pit
  • Groveling on their knees and similar positions suggestive of begging and pleading
  • Fetal positions
  • Prayer and Meditation
  • Casting lots
  • Various forms of exercise and/or physical labour
  • Attempting emergency medical care on a recumbent instance
  • Clawing at their mouths, eyes, ears, chests, and groins in apparent agony
  • A single instance sitting on the edge of the pit, its head cocked at the attending researchers

Recovery: Foundation field operatives discovered SCP-4309 after investigating urban legends about a 'mass grave of revenants' in the New England wilderness. At the time of recovery, SCP-4309's cottage was in a severe state of disrepair and did not appear on any municipal records. Of note is a tarnished silver placard on the basement door which reads "SCP Foundation Department of Abnormalities". For this reason, Regional Command made the decision to acquire the property as a Location of Interest and contain SCP-4309 on site.

SCP-4309 were initially found grouped together in a single pile, but as soon as line-of-sight was broken formed a standing 6 by 7 grid, all looking upwards. If removed from their original pit, instances of SCP-4309 will attempt to return as soon as they are unobserved. This has complicated research into SCP-4309, however, the following tests have been successfully completed:

SCP-4309 Test #: 1

Description: Genetic testing of all SCP-4309 instances.

Results: SCP-4309 were found to be genetically identical and human, the only abnormality being each instance only possesses 45 chromosomes, with the second X or Y chromosome being absent.

SCP-4309 Test #: 2

Description: Internal imaging of all SCP-4309 instances using a Spectral CT Scanner.

Results: Other than a lack of reproductive organs, SCP-4309 are anatomically unremarkable. Of note is that all instances are 100% anatomically identical to one another.

SCP-4309 Test #: 3

Description: Surgery, in an attempt to alter the internal anatomy of an SCP-4309 instance (SCP-4309-1).

Results: Upon completion of the first incision, SCP-4309-1 began to emit hydrogen sulfide gas from the incision, requiring the procedure be aborted. SCP-4309-1 returned to the pit of its own accord, with the incision wound having fully healed. It should also be noted that during the surgery, all other SCP-4309 instances were recorded placing their hands over their ears.

SCP-4309 Test #: 4

Description: Cut open the mouth of an SCP-4309 instance (SCP-4309-2).

Results: SCP-4309-2 continuously produced a 19-hertz infrasonic scream, causing feelings of unease and mild hallucinations among attending staff, until its mouth was resewn. Remaining SCP-4309 instances were recorded covering their mouths with both hands.

SCP-4309 Test #: 5

Description: Cut open the eyelids of an SCP-4309 instance (SCP-4309-3).

Results: SCP-4309-3 locked eyes with Dr. Metzger, paralyzing him. Two additional staff members who then made eye contact with Dr. Metzger were also paralyzed. The test was immediately aborted and the basement evacuated and quarantined. Video surveillance shows that Dr. Metzger and his two attendants remain paralyzed, and remain standing despite a lack of detectable life signs. They have been designated SCP-4309-A.

After the basement was evacuated, SCP-4309-3 re-positioned itself so that it was seated by the doorway in a cross-legged pose suggestive of patient anticipation. Its eyes typically remain fixated on the basement door, with occasional glances at the surveillance camera. Remaining SCP-4309 instances were recorded covering their eyes the instant that SCP-4309-3's were opened.

To date, neither SCP-4309-3 or any other SCP-4309 instance has altered their pose.

Research into SCP-4309 has temporarily been suspended.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License