SCP-4718
rating: +18+x

Item №: SCP-4718

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: Information suppression and alteration procedures are of particular importance to containment due to the fact that SCP-4718 has only been partially hidden from the general public. To this end, information establishing SCP-4718 as non-anomalous is to be disseminated, and the hypothesis that natural calving and melting resulted in its destruction at a point prior to the 21st century is to be perpetuated.

The Foundation submarine SCPF Ymir is to patrol the area of the North Atlantic Ocean which contains SCP-4718 and enforce a 2km exclusion zone under the cover of a drilling rig operation rendering the area restricted and potentially hazardous to approach. Testing on SCP-4718-A is to be performed by voluntarily participating Level 2 Ymir crew members equipped with SCUBA suits which leave at least one extremity uncovered. Outside of testing, unprotected skin contact with SCP-4718-A is not permitted.

Description: SCP-4718 is an artificial device of unknown origin, located in the North Atlantic Ocean and at rest on the seabed at a depth of 3.5 km. Externally, SCP-4718 has the appearance of a pinnacle iceberg; however, chemical testing has determined SCP-4718 to be composed primarily of a translucent silicate substance with high tensile strength and heat-absorbent properties. Six layers of this material, each with an average thickness of ~5cm, compose the exterior section of SCP-4718.

An area near the base of SCP-4718 is heavily damaged by a severe planar fracture, allowing access to the interior of SCP-4718. The object is partially hollow; the majority of its inner cavity is occupied by a complex lattice of refined iron, silicon and niobium, which is engraved with indecipherable symbols. This structure is designated SCP-4718-A.

SCP-4718-A is conjectured to function as a combination of an internal support system for SCP-4718, preventing the object from imploding due to the pressure of the surrounding water, and a [REDACTED].

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License