SCP-5530
rating: +47+x

Item #: SCP-5530

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: The island of North Uist is to be monitored for any anomalous activity unassociated with known SCP-5530 instances. Any newly discovered instances will be assessed for containment on a case by case basis.

Given the nature of known, active instances, no further containment has been deemed necessary at this time.

Description: SCP-5530 is a collection of charms made by the islanders of North Uist, Outer Hebrides, which are traditionally gifted to mark major life milestones. Instances are constructed from a selection of plants and other materials native to the region. Evidence suggests that several hundred more SCP-5530 instances have existed in the past and that local production has been ongoing for at least 500 years. Although the tradition of making and gifting charms has continued through to the present day, those produced from 1999 onwards have exhibited no anomalous properties to date. 67 known SCP-5530 instances are currently active.

The anomalous effects of SCP-5530 are triggered when gifted to an individual or family and will continue until that instance is destroyed. Anomalous effects vary but typically relate directly to the associated life event.

Given that the majority of North Uist inhabitants believe that accounts of SCP-5530's anomalous abilities are local folktales, investigations have been carried out covertly. Initial researchers were instructed to pose as historians researching local traditions for an upcoming publication.1

SCP-5530 - Addendum: After extensive interviews with local residents and a review of the island archives, a team has been dispatched to investigate claims relating to an uninhabited island approximately 2 miles north of North Uist. Samples of plant material will be collected according to local superstition and analysed for anomalous effects.

Administrative Notice

The file you are viewing is an obsolete version.
Please access updated SCP-5530 files for current information.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License