SCP-6129
rating: +51+x

NOTICE FROM THE FOUNDATION RECORDS AND INFORMATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION

There are numerous and consistent reports of problems that tend to occur during this file's retrieval for display. These problems might affect the file's reliability, and usually take the form of interferences causing information from other files or another part of this file to be displayed.

While this data does not seem to originate from any outside source, it does not match any data currently contained in the Foundation's database either, which has led to the hypothesis that it may originate in some other timeline, or some other point of our timeline. The system will automatically identify and filter out these interferences. Given their nature it is not recommended to view their content if offered the option, the sole exception being when there is reason to believe the information contained in them might be of critical importance to prevent massive loss of life, a K-class scenario or an unintended lifting of the Veil. Occasionally these interferences might even cause loss or improper organization of data by preventing its successful retrieval.

The system might initially fail to mark and/or filter some interferences, therefore viewer discretion is advised to identify and dismiss incoherent, incomprehensible or repetitive information. If given enough time, the system should be able to purge all interferences.

— Maria Jones, Director, RAISA

Item #: SCP-6129

Object Class: Explained, soon to be Declassified (This classification is currently under review. In compliance with the cautionary principle, this anomaly should not be treated as explained, nor should it be declassified, until the review process is complete.)

Special Containment Procedures:

a) The public is to be informed about the condition, under the name of “Bullford syndrome”. This is to be done in compliance with the agreement between the Foundation and Dr William H. Bullford, currently assistant psychiatry professor at the University of California. In exchange for the Foundation enhancing his professional prominence and recognition, as well as providing additional funding for his research, Dr Bullford has agreed to write and attempt to publish several papers disguising Foundation research and findings as his own.

b) The search for effective treatment is then to be secretly encouraged and supported by the Foundation, in a financial as well as political and scientific sense. Given the risk the condition poses when affecting Foundation personnel, potentially causing containment breaches and other undesirable incidents, the eradication of the condition is to be prioritized.

c) In the meantime, personnel handling sensitive information or directly involved in containment procedures are to be screened for symptoms of Bullford syndrome on a regular basis to be determined based on their clearance level and the object class of the anomalies they monitor.

Note: in light of recent events, and the information obtained during Incident 6129-JAN222023, these procedures are currently under review, and their implementation is to be halted until the review process is completed.

Description:

An interference has been identified and isolated. Do you wish to see the extraneous information?

SCP-6129 designates a non-anomalous mild mental disorder commonly refered to by personnel as Hinken syndrome, or more recently Bullford syndrome, which caused an epidemic in the USA in 2022.

Bullford syndrome was originally identified and described when Dr Thomas Hinken, upon being appointed as Director of Site-113 in [REDACTED], USA, on December 22, 2021, quickly became unsatisfied with the number of mistakes and oversights commited by the site personnel. Dr Hinken, known for his perfectionist tendencies, initiated an internal surveillance program that revealed the existence of SCP-6129.

An interference has been identified and isolated. Do you wish to see the extraneous information?

This condition is characterized by a series of symptoms that cause the patient to experience, in most cases, minor distortions in their perception of reality. The most common symptom is a form of cognitive delusion that alters short term memory. In this delusion, the patient will either experience false memories of having performed an action or seen an object in a specific place, or alternatively will completely forget and deny having performed an action or seen an object in a specific place. The patient will insist on the veracity of their claim even when faced with evidence.

These symptoms are often relatively harmless, except in specially unfortunate circumstances. The main impact in the patient's life is commonly centered around losing or misplacing small, important objects like keys, phones or jewelry. For the first 6 months of the epidemic, serious injuries and deaths were rare, often caused by exposure when individuals living alone in remote areas were unable to enter their own dwelling after simultaneously losing their keys and their phone.

However, it is estimated that around ██████ children and other individuals in need of continuous supervision died or disappeared during the first year of the epidemic, either by being disoriented (since Bullford syndrome can cause someone to forget or falsely remember following a certain path or having a certain spatial reference) or by Bullford-induced negligence on the part of their custodians.

As of January, 2023, an estimated total of ███████ people have died in Bullford-related industrial and medical accidents, plane crashes and other similar human-error-caused catastrophes. The most severe incident so far was the [REDACTED] at the [REDACTED] nuclear power plant. As a result of several unintentional data leaks, approximately 94 billion dollars in economic damages have occurred and 36 public officials have resigned following the release of sensitive information about their personal lives. Cases of Bullford syndrome have been reported, starting this month, in 14 other countries.

A much less frequent set of symptoms appears in around 1% of the affected population. In these cases, the condition seems to affect long term memory as well, with the patient remembering having been older, having had a friend or relative of whom there is no record, having lived through historical events that never took place, or having had their relatives replaced by identical impostors, in a manner similar to Capgras syndrome. Alternatively, the patient may lose the ability to recall certain long lapses of their own life, sometimes spanning years.

An even less frequent, and to this day statistically non-significant symptom, consists of visual and auditory hallucinations, with the patient insistently misreading text or reporting having heard laughs, screams or knocking, often while a Bullford-related incident was taking place. In the 21 most recently reported cases, the illusion included full words, although incomprehensible ones.

Studies are being conducted to determine Bullford syndrome's degree of co-morbidity with other mental conditions like major depressive disorder or some forms of trauma.

Note: after Incident 6129-JAN222023, this description is now known to be inaccurate. An updated description is in the works. In the meantime, refer to the rest of the article for reliable information on this topic.

On January 22, 2023, while performing a routine inventory of digital files in the Site-113 database, Junior Researcher and then Assistant Site IT Director Dr Daniel Gerad found multiple files that had somehow been overlooked in previous inventories. These files were marked as tertiary backups and were either severely corrupted or partially overwritten. The originals, primary and secondary backups couldn't be found. Upon inspection, multiple attempts at complete deletion were deemed evident by the files' state.

An interference has been identified and isolated. Do you wish to see the extraneous information?

While the intention to completely purge the files from the system was obvious, upon consultation with RAISA, Site Director Hinken and Site IT Director Weinbaum, Dr Gerad obtained authorization to review whichever files could be recovered to the point of being readable, in order to determine whether they contained useful information. Three files fulfilled the readability criteria.

Given the risk of cognitohazard, Dr Gerad requested and obtained permission to have a D-class read the files first, and then be amnesticized in case they obtained sensitive information this way. Despite being visibly appalled by the content of the files, D-9342 suffered no anomalous effects between his viewing of the files and being amnesticized 24 hours later.

The files revealed several relevant facts, mainly three:

1- That SCP-6129, the so-called Bullford syndrome, is profoundly different in nature from what was believed until now.

2- That an instance of Procedure CYA-009 was conducted in recent times.

3- That SCP-6129 will eventually escalate into either an AK, EK, GH, IK, MK or SK-Class scenario, or any combination, and therefore further, more extreme measures are required to contain it.

Files recovered during Incident 6129-JAN222023:

After viewing the content of the files it became obvious that the long term memory aspects of Bullford syndrome were minor malfunctions of SCP-2000, that the recovery of the files, which indeed should have been expunged, had been a mistake as had been studying the phenomenon in the first place, and that these mistakes would predictably cause escalation from SCP-6129 into SCP-6129-B. Indeed, merely 24 hours after discovering the information, Junior Researcher and then Assistant Site IT Director Dr Daniel Gerad suffered the first instance of SCP-6129-B in the reset timeline, losing his credit card while hearing the following, comprehensible message:

When you stopped believing in us
We stopped believing in you

Pressed to find a solution before further escalation occurred, Site Director Hinken prepared three possible strategies, and submitted them to O5 for evaluation, after hastily informing them of the situation. The results were the following:

Strategy Status Notes
Mass amnesticization Rejected Would not reliably prevent repetition of the cycle. Also, our amnestics source has limitations.
A second CYA-009 Procedure Rejected Would not reliably prevent repetition of the cycle.
Operation Winter Cleaning Pending Feasibility must first be confirmed.

In order to confirm the feasibility of Operation Winter Cleaning, AKASHWANI was activated. Dr Gerad volunteered to be connected to the machine. This produced the following visualization:

Almost immediately after being disconnected, Dr Gerad reported that:

a) SCP-6129 is a product of the human subconscious.

b) SCP-6129 is not intrinsical to humanity and can be excised from the human subconscious without fundamentally altering human nature.

Therefore, Operation Winter Cleaning was confirmed as feasible and greenlit. Preparations began on January, 25, 2023.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

All interferences have been purged. You should be able to view the rest of the file without further problems.


.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Addendum:

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License