SCP-6994
rating: +30+x

by Elunerazim

Giant_Isopod_%2818443864634%29.jpg

An instance of SCP-6994 in captivity

Item #: SCP-6994

Object Class: Euclid Explained Keter

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-6994 is to be contained in a large aquatic containment cell filled with 33 PPM salinity seawater. No recreation, comfort, or nonessential sustenance is to be given to SCP-6994 under any circumstances. Any SCP-6994 instances showing perceived resistance or malice towards Foundation staff should be executed immediately.

Description: SCP-6994 is the species Bathynomus basatanus, a form of giant isopod native to the eastern seaboard of the United States and Canada. SCP-6994 bears superficial resemblance to non-anomalous species of giant isopod.1

SCP-6994's biology deviates from other isopods in several key ways. SCP-6994 possess spinnerettes akin to terrestrial spiders, and use them to secrete a viscous and adhesive fluid. SCP-6994 use this fluid to build shelters, "as well as to construct sacs of water to aid in on-shore exploration."2 SCP-6994 also have four large scythe-like forelimbs, similar to mantid terrestrial predators. These forelimbs are used primarily for bursts of locomotion, as well as hunting and defense from predators. Lastly, SCP-6994 possess almost human-like levels of sapience. SCP-6994 utilize a symbol-based communication method, consisting of both written pictograms and in-person symbols and pantomime using their forelimbs.

Addendum 1
During construction on a more permanent on-site holding cell for SCP-6994, new fossil records were found in the seafloor surrounding SCP-6994's habitat. Such records indicated that SCP-6994 was non-anomalous, and merely an evolutionary relative of traditional aquatic isopods. These findings were considered dubious by head researcher Geraldo Bannock, who ordered further research on the subject.

A pair of divers captured and vivisected an instance of SCP-6994 to ascertain its biological makeup. DNA samples and physical similarities showed SCP-6994 was a direct evolution of ancient isopods, and it was deemed nonanomalous and reclassified as SCP-6994-EX.

Incident Report
On July 17th, 2020, four swimmers were reported missing at Salisbury Beach, Massachusetts. Following a further search, SCP-6994 spinnerette threads were located along with tracks leading to a SCP-6994 constructed cave approximately 700 meters offshore. The swimmers' bodies were found inside, vivisected via SCP-6994's forelimbs and killed in a manner suggesting care and possible curiosity. Methods used by SCP-6994 appear identical to those used by Foundation agents during their initial dissection.

Addendum 2
On May 8th 2021, Geraldo Bannock reclassified SCP-6994 to Keter, citing previously unseen evidence regarding the evolution of SCP-6994. Following this, more stringent containment procedures were enacted, involving frequent cullings and transfer to on-site containment.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License