Secure Facility Dossier: Site-246
rating: +41+x
246-logo.png

Logo of Site-246

246-logo.png

SCP Foundation Secure Facility Dossier

Official Designation: Great Lakes Specialized Deep Water Facility1

Site Identification Code: NAGL-Site-246-B

Codeword Clearance: L2/TRITON POINT


General Information


Lake_Superior_Site246.png

Bathymetric map of Lake Superior, with the approximate location of Site-246 indicated. Click to view full size image.

Founded: 1 January 1939
Decommissioned: May 31 1946
Recommissioned: 1 July 1968
Deactivated: 2 April 1977
Reactivated: 30 September 1985

Location: Lake Superior
Cover Story: NOAA Monitoring Buoy

Site Function: Task Force Training; Staff Instruction; Submarine Drydock; Low-Security Storage; Deep Water Research
Historical Function (246-A): High-Security Containment; Emergency Command Bunker
Historical Function (246-B): Regional Command Center, Task Force Housing & Operations; Special Asset Containment; Thaumatology Research


Facilities and Wings


Site246_SideView.png

Basic lateral view layout diagram of Site-246-B. The surviving portions of Site-246-A located beneath the present site are not depicted.

Buoy.jpg

Site-246 Surface Buoy as it appeared in 2015.

  • Surface Buoy: Disguised as a NOAA monitoring buoy, this is the main communications node and sensor array of the site. A tight-beam aetheric radio allows for direct, covert, two-way communication with other Foundation sites and assets in the region, while a high-gain microwave antenna provides a satellite uplink to the global Foundation intranet. A standard suite of passive sensors allows for constant monitoring of nearby maritime and aerial traffic. The buoy is anchored to the submerged portion of the site by redundant data, power, and air cable-conduits, which also serve as umbilicals for the submersibles which are the primary means of access to the site.
  • Central Hub: The core module of the site, and the main arrival and departure point for Site-to-Surface submersibles. The hub serves as a central security checkpoint, controlling access to and movement within the site. Reserve life support, auxiliary power generation, and backup command systems are located here, allowing the hub to support itself and any connected wings during an emergency.
Site246_OverheadView.png

Basic overhead view layout diagram of Site-246-B.

  • A-Wing — Administration and Accommodations: The majority of A-Wing is dedicated to personnel accommodations. Task force dormitories and staff housing, individual offices and group briefing rooms, and clearance-segregated cafeterias and communal lounges are all located in this wing. The main administrative block is attached to this wing, containing additional accommodations and support systems for site command staff.
  • B-Wing — Facilities and Logistics: Site-wide engineering and logistical systems are based out of B-Wing. Primary power and life support are located in this wing, as are other central utilities such as heating and plumbing. This wing also serves as the distribution and processing center for incoming supply shipments and outgoing mail.
    • Submarine Docking Bay: Attached to the end of B-Wing is the site's submarine docking bay, an isolated module containing facilities for maintaining and operating up to 15 Cerberus-class submarines. The bay is normally kept at atmospheric pressure for the benefit of on-site personnel and maintenance crews, with submarine access controlled by a set of large floodable pressure locks. During elevated alert periods where rapid naval deployment may be necessary, this system can be reversed and the internal air pressure raised to match ambient water pressure, allowing the submarine locks to be opened so the bay can function as a moon pool; however, while the bay is in such a state, access to and from the rest of the site requires a significant period of pre-breathing and gradual pressurization in the internal airlock to prevent both nitrogen narcosis and oxygen toxicity.
  • C-Wing — Research and Containment: On-site research and containment of anomalies is done within C-Wing, which is equipped with facilities suitable for storage of most Safe-class objects, some inanimate Euclid-class items, and a small number of decommissioned Thaumiel-class artifacts. Given its remote location and relative inaccessibility, the site is primarily used as "deep storage" for low-risk, high-value objects which are no longer the focus of major research or experimentation. Some research continues at the site, mostly focused on experimentation in deep-water conditions and passive observation of contained anomalies.
    • Thaumatology Labs: The site's now-defunct thaumatology program was housed in the expansion module of C-Wing. Designed to take advantage of the then-unprecedented access to a cooperative Grade-ב thaumaturge provided by the Special Asset Task Force Program, the thaumatology labs were used to explore direct applications of occult theory and test new anti-occult countermeasures in controlled conditions. Despite its successes, the thaumatology program was unable to outlive its resident thaumaturge — in part because it had helped pave the way for recruitment of additional thaumauturges and thaumatologists at other sites. The program was terminated in 1990, and its remaining projects and researchers were relocated to Site 87 and Site 64. At present, the labs have been repurposed to provide additional containment chambers and conventional research space.
  • D-Wing — Task Force Training and Support: While formerly used as a separate accommodation block for attached and assigned Mobile Task Forces, since 1991, D-Wing has been completely dedicated to providing facilities for training new task force agents. The wing houses a number of shooting ranges, gymnasiums, and simulator rooms for basic instruction and qualification in weapons handling, physical fitness, and operational readiness; however, its most significant feature is a suite of reconfigurable facsimile mission courses, capable of simulating a wide range of urban and interior environments and used to conduct live-fire training exercises based on historical operations. Facilities and equipment are also present for training personnel in underwater operations.
    • Special Asset Training Annex: The expansion block of D-Wing originally housed the site's armory, but this was relocated to B-Wing when the block was repurposed for the Special Asset Task Force Program. Containing additional specialized training facilities, the Special Asset Training Annex was used to practice atypical operational methods arising from the inclusion of a combat thaumaturge within a conventional task force unit. The lowest level was reserved for private thaumaturgy practice and experimentation. Large portions of the block were damaged or destroyed by catastrophic flooding which occurred in 1990, and as a result it is no longer in use.

Surviving Portions of Site-246-A

  • Original Site Maintenance Tunnels: When Site-246-A was decommissioned, several of the upper-level maintenance and access tunnels used in the initial excavation and construction were preserved. They were later reused during the construction of Site-246-B, serving as an on-site diving chamber which provided a shirt-sleeve environment for Foundation engineers. While these tunnels are now inaccessible from the modern site, its foundations are anchored directly to the upper levels of the original facility.
  • High-Security Vaults: The deepest levels of Site-246-A were the high-security vaults, carved out 100 meters below the bed of the lake. Meant to store and protect many of the easily-weaponized or culturally-significant anomalies that were thought to be a target of the Obskuracorps, these vaults saw only limited use during the 7th Occult War. When Site-246-A was decommissioned at the end of the war, these vaults were flooded to suppress any lingering anomalous effects.

Vehicles and Vessels


SkippersFollyShip.jpg

SCPS Skipper's Folly, in its guise as a commercial vessel.

  • SCPS Skipper's Folly: Outwardly appearing to be a typical commercial lake freighter, Skipper's Folly is in actuality a covert aircraft carrier and submarine tender. The ship is capable of deploying and recovering most classes of Foundation submersibles and submarines through an enclosed moon pool, and it can carry up to two Cerberus-class submarines in its interior hold, allowing them to move through locks and other controlled access waterways in the Great Lakes without alerting the American or Canadian governments. A wing of six V/STOL fixed-wing aircraft or nine rotorcraft can be carried in a concealed hangar and launched from a retractable flight deck; an additional wing of aircraft can be carried in the internal hold in place of a second submarine. Onboard cargo-handling systems allow the ship to operate independently of shore-based equipment or other support vessels.

    Assigned to Site-246-B since it opened in 1968, Skipper's Folly is the main point of access between the site and the rest of the world. During normal operations, Skipper's Follly performs frequent trips between ports across Lake Superior, allowing it to rendezvous regularly with the site's surface buoy to receive Site-to-Surface submersibles. Personnel and supplies being transferred through Skipper's Folly can embark or disembark in one of its ports of call, or while the ship is underway via aircraft, ferry craft, or submarine. During elevated alert periods, the rendezvous with the surface buoy can be discarded entirely in favor of direct transfers via submarine, or it can be performed indirectly by the ship's aircraft.

    While in winter layup2, Skipper's Folly remains docked in a private port owned by a Foundation front company, located on the north shore of Lake Superior a short distance from Site-246; this port is accessible by submarine, even while iced over, allowing the ship and the site to maintain a limited degree of operational readiness.
  • SCPS Hopscotch Glory: Commissioned in 1986 to replace SCPS Jack Jumped and SCPS Hopping Mad, sister ships of Skipper's Folly that were reassigned when Site-246 was deactivated in 1977, Hopscotch Glory is an enlarged version of the same class. Originally meant to provide reinforcement and redundancy to Skipper's Folly, in its initial configuration it carried four wings of aircraft and one Cerberus-class submarine. Following the end of active task force operations at the site, Hopscotch Glory was refitted to carry three submarines and a single aircraft wing. It is now primarily used as a long-range submarine tender to convey submarines through the Saint Lawrence Seaway and the intervening locks on their way to or from the drydocks at Site-246.

Staffing Information


Site Director: Cody Westbrook
Asst. Dir. of Personnel & Task Forces: Agent Nathan Devlin
Asst. Dir. of Facilities & Logistics: Terry Mullins
Asst. Dir. of Research & Containment: Vacant; Dr. Chandra McKeller acting

Site Personnel: 137 (Not including task force members)
Department Heads: 3
Staff Doctors: 6
Staff Researchers: 39
Administrative Personnel: 5
Maintenance or Janitorial: 43
Security Personnel: 21
D-Class: 0
Other Personnel: 19

Attached Task Forces:

Alphanumeric Identifier Codename Task Force Type Commander Strength
∅-0 (Null-Nil) A Bunch of Zeros Training Agent Mackenzie Janowski 48 agent trainees, 5 senior field agents
Υ-5 (Upsilon-Five) Tom Clancy's Upsilon-Five Naval Captain Lexington Feldt 3 Cerberus-class submarines (SCPS Cerberus, SCPS Sentinel, SCPS Paladin)

Defunct Task Forces:

Alphanumeric Identifier Codename Task Force Type Active Status
Δ-3 (Delta-Three) Solomon's Hand Special 1985–1990 Dissolved following the loss of its primary special asset.
Κ-1 (Kappa-One) Sherman's March Provisional 1985 Dissolved following objective completion; reorganized into Delta-3.
Μ-2 (Mu-Two) Moot Point Mobile 1968–1977 Transferred to Site-87 when regional command was relocated there.

Additional Information


Located 250 meters below the surface of Lake Superior, the first incarnation of Site-246 was situated beneath the lakebed. The brainchild of Captain Edwin Janson, who served as its first Site Director, Site-246-A was constructed in the run-up to the 7th Occult War to serve as a high-security storage vault and emergency command bunker in the event of the Foundation entering into open conflict against the Obskuracorps or another hostile Group of Interest. To this end, it was equipped with then-state-of-the-art thaumic shielding and anti-occult countermeasures, designed to ward off a possible attack by a cadre of battlemages.

While a number of high-value anomalous objects were temporarily relocated to the site for the duration of the war, its usage in its intended role remained limited; by the time the Foundation entered the war on the side of the Allied Occult Initiative, the tide of the conflict had decisively turned against the Obskuracorps, forestalling any possibility of a coordinated attack on Foundation installations outside of Europe. In the wake of Operation BLACK ROPE, Site-246-A briefly saw use as a holding center for Konrad Weiss, director of research and archeology for the Obskuracorps and a thaumaturge of significant ability, as well as several members of his staff, prior to their transfer to permanent detention facilities.

Due to the expense involved in maintenance, Site-246-A was decommissioned shortly after the end of the 7th Occult War. The majority of the site, including its secure vaults, was allowed to flood, although a number of upper-level access corridors were kept sealed and airtight in case the need ever arose to recommission the facility.

Recommissioning occurred in 1968 as Site-246-B. Built on the lakebed directly above the remains of Site-246-A, the -B installation was constructed to serve as a regional command center and Mobile Task Force staging ground for the entirety of the North American Great Lakes region. Site-246-B filled this role for almost a full decade, acting as the home of Mobile Task Force Mu-2 and providing overwatch capabilities to other units operating in the region. Among the notable operations undertaken during this time, Site-246-B played a critical role in the joint Foundation-GOC campaign to inoculate the North American populace against most strains of infectious lycanthropy.

Over time, the lack of a permanent on-site airfield became an increasingly significant obstacle to continued use of Site-246-B as a command center; in 1977, regional command for the North American Great Lakes was transferred to the newly opened Site-87, which had been constructed the previous year following the discovery and classification of the Sloth's Pit, Wisconsin nexus. Site-246-B was deactivated once again, although it remained in commission with a skeleton maintenance crew to keep its major systems operational.

In 1985, Site-246-B was reactivated under the aegis of the Special Asset Task Force Program, this time to serve as the main base of operations for Mobile Task Force Delta-3. An experimental task force organized around and in support of the Special Asset Agent Firestarter, Delta-3 found an ideal home in Site-246-B; the isolation of the facility, and the array of anti-occult countermeasures inherited from its antecedent, made it uniquely suited to house and contain Agent Firestarter, a powerful but volatile combat thaumaturge. For the entire five years of its existence, Delta-3 used Site-246-B as a staging ground and training facility, deploying on missions across North America and ranging as far afield as Iceland.

Delta3.png

Unit insignia of MTF Delta-3 ("Solomon's Hand").

During the five years in which Delta-3 was operational, Site-246-B experienced a renaissance, returning to activity levels not seen since its early days as a regional command center. The presence of Agent Firestarter resulted in the establishment of a large local thaumatology program to support Delta-3's operations, resulting in some of the first applied thaumatology labs at any Foundation site. Despite the continued dependence on SCPS Skipper's Folly for long-distance transport, the small size and unique structure of Delta-3 allowed for rapid deployment across most of the continent; as a result, in 1986, Site-246-B was relisted as a First Response Facility, authorized to deploy task forces on its own initiative to respond to incidents in its operational region.

However, the demise of Agent Firestarter in 1990 spelled the end for the revitalized Site-246-B. Rendered inoperable by the loss of its central Special Asset, Delta-3 was soon dissolved, and the thaumatology program wound down. With its operational functions deactivated or taken over by neighboring sites, Site-246-B transitioned into a training center and underwater research facility, losing its former prestige almost overnight. Considered a backwater posting by most, it now operates at a mere fraction of its peak activity levels.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License