Where They All Go
rating: +289+x

Author Note: I find it's even better if you listen to this whilst reading. -Sal

Background: A large mass approximately 3 kilometers in diameter, located 436,200 kilometers away from the earth's surface, was discovered by Foundation astronomers. It orbits the Earth directly behind the moon, causing it to be obscured from view through terrestrial telescopes.

Observation of the mass is difficult, however researchers have determined it to be made up of several million constituent parts that move independently. Due to the freedom with which these parts move, it appears that the mass was not gravitationally formed.

Foundation Space Telescope 23 Alpha was launched in order to further observe the mass. Dr. ████████ has written the following report on the telescope's observations:

Space Telescope 23 Alpha was launched at 9:15:31. It reached its destination at 22:23:04, wherein it began orbiting the moon. It completed orbit to the opposite side of the moon in 23 minutes, after which it focused on the speck. What we saw through it was astonishing.

Balloons. Thousands, no, millions of them. Most of them were the typical oval shape, but there was the occasional novelty Disneyland one with mickey mouse ears, or those ones you can buy at Pharmacies that are shaped like words. They all floated there, moving rhythmically. Dancing.

We watched them for a while. It was soothing. The way they coalesced. Their movements seemed joyful, happy. They danced around one another, their strings sometimes touching as if they were holding hands. It was beautiful.

One of my researchers suddenly jumped up approximately 24 minutes in, and pointed to a certain balloon that came into view. It was a green, oblong balloon with a custom print on it. It said "Happy Birthday, ███████ ██████." That was the name of my researcher. He told me that on his 8th birthday his mom had ordered 100 custom-print green balloons that said exactly that.

After watching the balloons dance for another 30 minutes, I came to the conclusion that these balloons did not simply appear behind the moon. I remember when I was little, and I myself let go of a colourful pink balloon that slipped off my wrist. I watched it drift off into the atmosphere, and stared, wondering where it would go. I think we have just found out.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License